Please sign in to post.

Train to Bayeux

We just tried yesterday to get a train to Bayeux for 7:20 or 9:45 and all they would give us was the 10:10 train. So we got it with the option to change. So "What's up with that?" Are the trains in the early morning on strike, or what? We booked our trip to Colmar and got a good time with no problem. But that was a TGV and for the 30th of September. Did we wait too long to book the trip to Bayeux? We thought there was plenty of time for the SNCF trains.

Posted by
7209 posts

You just tried "where" to book train tickets?

Posted by
14535 posts

If they are on strike in the morning, then you're out of luck, simple as that. Trains to Bayeux are TER, local trains, which you do not reserve. They don't take reservations. It's first come first serve, which may mean that the coach you board might be packed to the point of no seats available, which you then do the obvious...stand or move to another coach. The locals do this all the time. There are people standing the whole hour or whatever the duration is. I've done it in France and Germany.

Posted by
16893 posts

Assuming that you mean departing from Paris, the 10:10 and later trains that are for sale are direct InterCity trains and they are selling those ahead of non-reservable TER services. According to DB schedules, the earlier morning departures use IC to Caen and then connect to a TER for the last bit. You can book the 7:07 or 8:45 IC tickets as far as Caen at this time at voyages-SNCF, then get the regional ticket later at any train station.

Posted by
323 posts

Thanks for all the info, we have booked a direct train, and probably paid too much. But we will get there in time to catch an afternoon tour to the Normandy battlefields.

We just visited the WWII museum in New Orleans last week and it was very moving and very realistic, as far as museums go. Walked through for 3and a half hours and thought we had only been there for two hours. It is a worthwhile visit.

Posted by
12172 posts

This will be my first visit to France, so I don't know the French system. I'm planning on a rental car to get out to Normandie and Brittany. I'd suggest looking into using a bus as an option. In most of Europe, if you need to reach a town that is marginally served by trains, it's worth checking buses. I'd say that's also going to be true if a rail strike threatens your itinerary.