Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

I'm traveling to Burgundy this spring from USA. Arriving CDG then TGV to Dijon and back a week later. Should I book those train tickets in advance and if so how? The specific train back is important since I have a 1:00 pm flight to catch. Roughly how long should I plan from touch down CDG through customs and RER to Paris Gare Lyon? Is the difference between 1st. and 2nd class marginal or important? Thanks.

Posted by
4132 posts

Hi JD

The cheapest tickets go on sale first, and are the most restricted. So what you "should" do depends on what is best for your situation. A super cheap ticket is no good if you miss the train; more expensive tickets allow you to rebook. (But maybe buy tickets on 2 trains, if they are super cheap, and just eat the cost.)

With a 1 PM flight I would want to arrive at deGaulle by 10. Chances are this will involve some sitting around, but that is the margin for error. It looks like the only direct train arrives at 9. I would take that (it leaves at 7).

Posted by
7865 posts

You should either buy a ticket in advance that is exchangeable or refundable in case you miss the train if the flight is delayed or just wait until you know for sure that the flight is going to arrive. And most would advise you not to try to travel from Dijon to CDG on the same day to catch a flight back to the USA. You should come the night before.

French rail tickets are sold at ouisncf.com