Please sign in to post.

Train Ticket question

I am new to train travel in Europe. I have pre-purchased and printed off train tickets to go from Rennes to Geneva. Do I need to validate the ticket anywhere before boarding the train, or do I just board the train and present it when asked? What is the procedure?

Posted by
20143 posts

I am assuming the first train is a TGV. This will have a carriage number and seat number. Board the train and take your seat. No validation needed. The conductor will come by and check you ticket at some point.

Posted by
16893 posts

Just board the train and present it when asked. Validation machines don't work with this type of ticket, and probably all aspects of the trip (date, time, seat assignment) are already reserved.

However, if you booked a train called OUIGO (different from TGV EnOui), then that requires earlier check-in on the platform and would say so on the ticket.

Posted by
8889 posts

The purpose of validation (time-stamping) is to prevent you using a ticket twice.

A) If you printed it yourself validation is pointless, you could print as many copies as you like!

B) If the ticket is for a specific train, if it has date, time, train ID and seat numbers on it (which all TGV tickets do), it is again pointless to validate it, as it can only be used on that train.

The only tickets you need to validate are those valid on any train, that are ones you buy at the station on special paper. Those are like cash.

Posted by
337 posts

Hi
The OUI.sncf also has an app, allowing you to view your trip coach and seat numbers etc useful instead of printed tickets. Regards