Please sign in to post.

Train ticket prices

I was exploring the price difference between booking early and the day of arrival, di I want to take a chance? The website states "National interprofessional strike on March 27 and 28." It appears all trains are canceled for today, March 27. The Sncf websites states 104€ at 11;58 train, 19€ @ 12:31 and another for €25. , all direct trains for tomorrow March 28. It also list earlier trains are canceled.
What do I not understand that creates such a price difference? As the train fills up the prices go up? Popular times are more expensive, I understand, but that is a BIG difference. Does this strike effect train travel? Is canceling common? I was told the high speed trains were not impacted by strikes, or that might be just an Italian thing as we arrived last year on a strike day.

Posted by
6903 posts

SNCF tickets prices are all over the place and the SNCF Connect website now advertises bus fares too, adding to the confusion. It still pays to book early, as a general rule.

As for strikes: they do affect high-speed trains. Every other train is cancelled tomorrow, for example.