Please sign in to post.

train strikes

My wife and I have already bought train tickets from trainline and have hotel reservations booked as well. As if would be the dates for May train strikes have already been published. It appears that train strikes are announced for May 19, May 24, and May 28 which of course are 3 of our travel days. Does anyone have any advice on what to do if indeed the strikes do occur on these days? Trains have already been paid for. But obviously, we are concerned about getting from one town to the next scheduled town on our itinerary. Thanks again!

May 19 Saint Malo to Dinan
May 24 Dinan to Rennes
May 28 Rennes to Paris

Posted by
568 posts

Are you sure you aren't looking at strike information from last year (2018)? In May 2018 there were indeed SNCF strikes on all 3 of the days that you mention.

C'est la grève ('it's the strike' in French) doesn't list any anticipated dates for SNCF strikes this coming May and I don't see any other results in the news either.

Posted by
108 posts

Thank you for your comments. I googled "France railway strikes for 2019" and clicked on a website dated 4 April which listed the above strike dates that I mentioned. The website is "THE CONNEXION". Unless I read it incorrectly, the newsletter was dated 4 April.
Perhaps you can tell me if I'm incorrect and relieve my nervousness. Thank you again

Posted by
568 posts

dlk4vr: Connexion was actually the site that I linked to in my first paragraph above. As Melissa says, the date in the header is just today's date (so right now it says 5 April 2019 as that's the current date in France), but the actual date of the post is further down on the left sidebar, where it says "Thu 5 Apr 2018."

Posted by
108 posts

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I am so happy that there are NO train strikes planned for May of this year. I appreciate your addressing this issue. Thanks again!!!