Please sign in to post.

Train strike

I’m a newbie to abroad travel. We are heading to Paris in April and wondering if trains are experiencing labor issues and strikes does they also mean the metro systwill be affected?

Posted by
2945 posts

Major train strikes in France aimed at "blocking country"

https://www.euronews.com/2023/03/07/major-train-strikes-in-france-aimed-at-blocking-country

In the transport sector, national rail company SNCF and Parisian public transport RATP are both expecting major ongoing strikes, with transport authorities warning of “major disruption” in Paris.

International journeys on trains and flights will also be impacted, with the French civil aviation authority recommending that airports in major cities across France reduce flight traffic by up to 30%. Delays and cancellations are expected.

Posted by
117 posts

What BigMike said about trains in France is true at the moment, but the OP is traveling in April. The pension reform bill that is triggering the strikes is supposed to pass by the end of March. So, in theory, the strikes will be finished by April. As far as the general question, while the French train system and the Paris Metro are different entities, there can be joint strikes as well as individual strikes. Your best plan is to travel as usual, but monitor the news and travel websites to see if any major strikes are happening in April.

Posted by
14521 posts

I'll be traveling to France in the summer. Still, I won't hold my breath even if the issue is supposed to be technically resolved next month.