Please sign in to post.

Train strike

We are looking at taking the train from CDG airport to Colmar when we land in France. I have been reading posts about train strikes. Is this ongoing? Are there planned days for the strikes? Should I purchase tickets in advance or just purchase tickets when we arrive at CDG airport?

Thank you so much for your reply, you all make traveling to Europe easier for people!

Stephanie

Posted by
8381 posts

There is currently a series of rolling rail strikes in France. The dates are scheduled in advance and can be found by entering the phrase, "French rail strike dates" into your search engine. You don't state when you are traveling, so this may be the best way for you to have current information.

The rail strike is a bit different than some strikes you may be familiar with in that some trains do run. It is not the total cessation of service, but a reduced service. I would definitely buy my rail tickets in advance for the best pricing. If the train ends up being cancelled due to the strike, you will be free to travel on any other train that is running that day or be eligible for a full refund.

There is also the option of taking Flixbus from CDG to Colmar.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you, Carol! I am reading up on this situation. We are traveling within France, which could complicate things, as we also have a connection in Strasbourg. We are traveling on June 2 from CDG to Colmar as soon as we arrive into the country. Our plan is to politely ask for a number and wait for a customer service representative and get the tickets we will preorder. I am reading that some people have had luck with this approach, now, that being said, they were traveling from France to another country, that might be a game changer for our options. We will be gracious and patient and see if we might be able to get to Colmar. If we at least get on our first leg of our trip - Paris - Strasbourg, we will find some way to get to Colmar from Strasbourg. What do you think? I am not fearful of situations like this and usually think through the "worst case scenarios" in my brain so I am prepared. Worst case scenario - I get a hotel and we try the next day and we just enjoy Paris.

Stephanie

Posted by
5697 posts

We had tickets Paris-Strasbourg booked before the strike was announced. Our date was a strike day. The day before, I received an email from SNCF saying my train would not be running. I was able to exchange tickets for a train that WAS running, only an hour or so later. You should be able to do the exchange online or at the station.

Posted by
546 posts

You might want to read my post about the train strike and how I Handled it. Mine was an international train which I understand were not as affected as the inter France trains. But I believe the advice is still good.

Posted by
35 posts

aarthurperry, YOU and you alone are the reason that I purchased tickets and wanted to give it a try. I am NOT putting responsibility on you, I am merely purchasing tickets and trying to advocate for myself holding you in my mind as I move forward. Your post put my concerns into perspective and I thought through the "worst case scenarios" and decided to move on. My daughter reminded me how important it is that I am moving into the situation with the knowledge of the strikes, as opposed to it being a surprise when we arrive. Thank you for your most gracious post. Your post gave us incredible insight into the situation, a list of steps to take if we are turned away, a perspective on the situation, and an opportunity to think through the worst case scenario, which is a pretty first world problem to have. Our plan B is to get a number and try for a different train, our plan C is to rent a car, and our plan D is to eat the money of our apartment in Colmar and just enjoy the beauty that Paris has to offer. We are more grateful for your post than you could possibly imagine!

Stephanie

Posted by
5697 posts

By the way, if you can make it as far as Strasbourg there are frequent TER trains running to Colmar and not all of them will be on strike.