Please sign in to post.

Train Stations and English (Paris to Spain)

Do the major train stations have announcements in English?
Do they have English announcements on the train for upcoming
stations?

Posted by
23267 posts

Both -- Sometimes but not always. And if they do, between the PA system and the accents, you still might not understand what is being said. However, the upcoming train stations is easier to manage. I always focus on the stop before. If I want F, I listen for and what the signs in the station for E. So I know the next stop is mine. If you standing on a platform, an announcement is made that you don't understand, ask someone who is standing on the same platform. Don't be shy.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks Frank,
I usually have the stations memorized but it will all be new to me.
I know that it takes 6 hours so I have time to figure it out on the train.

Jan

Posted by
11156 posts

Trains I was on last summer all had electric
signage with name of next stop.

Posted by
14507 posts

No English language announcements on regional trains in France, neither on the electronic board.

Posted by
2466 posts

You might not understand the major train stations in English.
You can, however, check the list for the major train stations before you go.

There is always a list...if you go to a SNCF boutique or a major train station.

Posted by
12172 posts

I can't recall ever hearing an English announcement in France (or Spain) but I rely on the departure board and don't worry about announcements. The announcements for upcoming stations are also in the local language. If you know the stop you want and a little more information, like the name of the stops preceding it and when you are due to arrive, you can listen carefully and be ready. The French pronunciation is much different than we'd say it but there is normally an electronic sign in the car that says the next stop, so you can read it.

Posted by
8049 posts

Sometimes. Usually not on local trains. But the main information is stations and those are the same in any language. Most trains have electronic signs that show the next stop and platforms of locals of course are well signed so you can look out the window and see it is your stop. Learn the penultimate stop and you won't have any trouble knowing when to get off. Frankly even when there are announcements in English, they are as likely to be as unintelligible as they are in England or the US; loud speakers are never very clear and on a noisy train you may not hear it anyway.