Please sign in to post.

Train information

What does Rick Steves mean when he gives a train schedule like this: 9/day, hourly. Thank you!
K

Posted by
5187 posts

K,

This is what it means to me.

9/day, hourly = 9 trains per day, and there is a train that runs this route hourly.

Where are you going?

Have a great trip!

Posted by
16893 posts

Also, there are obviously more than 9 hours in a day, but I'll assume this sample trip takes several hours to complete and the (roughly) hourly departures might start around 7:00 or 8:00 a.m., with the last run to make the full trip perhaps departing at 15:00 or 16:00. (Across Europe, overnight train schedules are very limited.)

Posted by
12172 posts

This is where I look for French rail:

https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/france

When booking, watch duration times. Not every train is direct. More stops and/or a change can add a lot of time to your itinerary. Also check earlier and later than the first trains that pop up, just so you have a good idea what your options are.

If you shop for rental cars. Avoid shopping for mid day pick up or drop off. Rental agents, even in large towns, take long lunches. Their hours are probably more like 7-11 and 2-6. If you shop for a pickup at noon, very few options will come up, you might think there are no agents in a town when they're really just out for lunch.