Please sign in to post.

Train help!

Hello everyone, this forum has been my bible since planning my holiday but I'm at the point where I just need more direct help!
My 15 year old daughter and I are going our very first overseas holiday from Australia and I'm completely out of my depth
This is a trip of a lifetime and I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford another so we're fitting in as much as possible, not ideal for some but this is what we have book so far...
- Arrive Amsterdam and stay for 3 nights
- Catch the night jet train to switzerland and stay there for 3 nights
- Train down to Milan as an overnight stop to Cinque Terre
- 3 nights in Cinque Terre
All of the above is booked, including trains
I have 2 nights booked in Paris as it is our birthdays
We need to get from Cinque Terre to Paris... Leaving CT 16th Sept and Paris accom booked for the night of 27th Sept
I originally thought Nice as a stop over, but someone suggested other places would be better
I have read through the man in seat 61 website a lot which I do find rather confusing in parts. His advice is to go from CT to Turin Porta Susa to Paris Gare de Lyon and he has said a number of times that can be done from €29 however when I put the exact instructions in the results are all over €350. I'm so confused by it all.
I'd like to go to Annecy perhaps and the Alsace region is somewhere I'd really love to go but I can't figure out the trains to get there (most searches give me the option of putting the destinations in but they say there are no results or there is an error)
I've thought we could stay in Paris for the 2 nights then head to Strasbourg for a night but it's so expensive to get there so that trip is off putting.
I have looked into a rail pass to see if that is cheaper and am looking at buying individual tickets then add it up and see which one is cheaper as per advised here but that's proving challenging as I can't work out the best route...
I'd like to do rail because I want to see as much of the countries as possible.
Going via Nice is the easiest for me to work out but doesn't seem the most logical route up to Paris.
Thanks all, your help is very much appreciated

Posted by
10035 posts

go from CT to Turin Porta Susa to Paris Gare de Lyon and he has said a number of times that can be done from €29 however when I put the exact instructions in the results are all over €350.

Unfortunately this currently can only be done one time a day, and that trip is done by going partly on a bus.

Therefore the workarounds take much longer and are much more expensive. So there are definitely no €29 fares available. I am surprised he hasn't updated his site for this, because this has been a problem for nearly a year now.

There was a landslide just inside the French border on this route last August and the rails have still not opened up. So this isn't a great option for now. in normal times there were three SNCF trains a day on this route each direction, plus a few Trenitalia trains. Now there is ONE SNCF offering daily, and as I said it involves transferring to a bus and back for part of the trio.

Posted by
7396 posts

To be fair to The Man in Seat 61 he does tell you about the line closure and the daily train/bus/train replacement.

So looking on sncf connect- the French railways website:

They have that daily train on sale for 69 Euros Milan to Paris. Admittedly not 29 Euro, but a way away from 350 as well.

Also on SNCF Connect if I ask it for Milan to Annecy it puts me on the same train as far as Chambery , then a switch onto a TER- fare 59 Euro 2nd class, or 71.40 first class.

Via Nice works and actually currently arrives in Paris earlier (see below).

The local train from the CT to Milan or Torino you may need to book separately with Trenitalia for 27 Euro on the 0723 to Milan, or 25 Euro on the 0944 to Torino.

VIA NICE- The 0723 to Ventimiglia is 28.5 Euro, arrive 1203 after a change in Genoa (book on Trenitalia) then depart Ventimiglia at 1347 (TER to Nice, then TGV Ouigo to Paris Gare de Lyon) arrive 2038 for 58.20 Euro on 16 September- total fare 86.7Euro- book on SNCF Connect.
If you prefer a TGV Inoui then there is one from Nice about an hour later for 12 Euro more.

So looking on SNCF Connect for Paris to Strasbourg for a sample date of 26 September the each way fare is 45 Euro on each train, but on the 1007 from Paris (arrive 1154) is 16 Euro.

Coming back on a sample date of 27 September there are several 49 Euro trains (like the 1250) but the 1951 train (arrive Paris at 2231) is on for 19 Euro.

Let's say you wanted to go direct from Annecy to Strasbourg. On 26 September sample date there is a one change service at Lyon (0900 Autocar to Lyon [Rail Replacement Bus] then TGV- for 64.70 2nd class/68.70 1st class.

So do Annecy, then Strasbourg, then end in Paris is a thought and isn't going to break the bank with careful train choice.

So playing around with SNCF Connect there are lots of options,

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you very much, that's very helpful.
I'll have a look at sncf connect site and see what it comes up with