Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Venice

In planning our departure from Paris to Venice, I wanted to get input into the best way to do it. We want to travel by train so that we can see the beauty of the mountains and countryside en route. My daughter went to school in Salzburg and would love, if possible to make an overnight stop there on our way to Venice. My first thought was to take the train to Lausanne, Switzerland, spend the evening & night there & leave around noon the next day for Venice. I had heard that this particular route had breathtaking scenery. However, does anyone know if the same type of beauty (mountains, etc.) would be seen if we first go the Salzburg via train and then on to Venice? I'm also concerned about the time it would take to make this quick side trip to Salzburg. Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted by
1025 posts

A train trip taking in all three cities would really be a slog. From Google Maps, it appears that your travel times are 7 to 8 hours between each city, for around 15 hours of rocking back and forth on a train. I have made the Paris to Salzburg leg, but only at night, and it was tedious. The Salzburg to Venice route was scenic, yes, but very slow. Not impossible, but this epic rail trip may lose its allure after a few miles.

Posted by
6788 posts

Do you have too much time on the trip - more than you can fill with destinations? Then sure, take a train. But if you are like most travelers - you have way too little time, too many places you want to see, more things to do than you can - then it probably makes more sense to simply fly. Unless, unlike most of us, you have days to burn, in which case a string of long, indirect, and (at times) scenic train trips could work. But be aware that you're trading away several days that you could otherwise spend on the stuff you (presumably) go to Europe for in the first place. If it were me, I'd fly.

Posted by
8145 posts

Take a plane. I'm only good for about 3-4 hours on a train and I'm done.

Put me in a cabin with a bunch of soccer players, and I'm ready to get off immediately.

Posted by
16893 posts

Paris to Venice by train from DB search

• One connection at Torino, 10 hrs, about 2 of those hrs near the French Alps
  • One connection at Lausanne, 10.5 hr plus overnight stay, about 2.5 of those hrs near Lake Geneva and Swiss Alps. Afternoon departures from Lausanne include one or more extra connections; only the 8:18 a.m. departure is direct to Venice.
  • Paris-Salzburg 7-9 hrs with 1 or more connections, plus overnight stay, plus Salzburg-Venice 6 hours with a connection at Villach. There is nice mountain scenery and maybe more of it but a much longer trip.
  • Direct overnight train, 14.5 hrs, no mountain scenery while awake

Direct flights are usually cheapest and maximize your time in Paris and Venice.

Posted by
5687 posts

Last year I trained from Venice to Paris. (I had been to both before.) Yes, I considered going the northern route, but I wanted to check out the South of France (had never been) and return to the Italian Riviera, which I love. Then I visited the French Riviera (Nice) and Provence as I headed north. I love train travel, so it was not a burden - it was part of the fun. I took about two weeks for my journey.
The European trains are mostly really nice.

This site might help you plan a trip via Salzburg or Lausanne:

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Paris.htm#Paris-Italy

However, I probably wouldn't do it with quick stops of just a night in each city before moving on. I'd slow it down and add a few nights in each city if you can. If not, I too might be tempted to fly.

Posted by
4862 posts

I'm trying to picture 3 teenagers who would be eager to spend 2 long days sitting in trains and staring out a window. Sorry, my imagination can't stretch that far. Save yourself the whining and grumbling and just fly to Venice. Or if you really HAVE to see mountains, fly to Munich and train to Salzburg so you might have a little time to actually see the city. Then train to Venice the next day.

Posted by
3391 posts

Hi Lindah,
You might want to nail down your exact itinerary before asking more questions.
You have made multiple postings about getting from Paris to Venice - each one has a different route and many people have given you advice for each one. You have also asked about transport in Paris multiple times and are now asking for people to tell you exactly how to get to and from about 15 different locations in the city. Using the resources you have been given over several posts you should now be able to figure this out.
It's time to get a guidebook and/or start using the many webpages you have been given to make your specific plans before asking additional questions.
Good luck with planning your trip!