Please sign in to post.

Train From Paris to Reims

I'm going on the Eastern France tour and will be arriving in Paris (CDG) at noon on a Saturday, the day before the tour begins. With getting through customs at CDG, will I have adequate time to catch a train to Reims from Gare de l'est or would it be better to stay overnight in Paris and catch an early train Sunday morning? Do many trains run on Sunday? My plan is to purchase my train tickets before departure at the train station in case of a flight delay. This will be my first trip to France. Many thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

Posted by
8063 posts

look on the scnf website for Paris/Reims and see what time there are trains. We took a TGV and it took 45 minutes.

Posted by
16893 posts

Since you're willing to just buy tickets in the CDG station at full fare, I would continue with that plan, and book the night ahead at the tour hotel in Reims, if they have the room available. Departing from CDG TGV station at Terminal 2, the fastest route to Reims by TGV train takes about 1 hour with a connection at Champagne-Ardennes station. I would plan to take one of these, even if it means more time at the airport, rather than taking the RER into Paris.

Sunday train schedules are not much different but typically skip an early-morning "commuter" run and have other variables. Staying a night in Paris would allow you to more reliably book the train ticket with an advance-purchase discount, but moving hotels seems like more trouble than the possible savings would be worth.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks to you both for your replies. As long as we can get a seat on the TGV when we arrive, I don't mind foregoing the discount. It will be easier, I think, if we can depart right from CDG and skip the travel into Paris.

Posted by
8063 posts

Well trains do fill up. We had one that was too full to book on our Brittany travels last week. I would think the odds are good there will be seats on the TGV to Reims but I would have a plan B, perhaps head in to Paris and catch one there if the one from CDG is full.

Posted by
8 posts

When we went on the Eastern France tour we had pre-purchased tickets for the TGV to Reims from CDG (I think there was a change to a local train in Champagne). We had about an hour and a half between our scheduled arrival time and the train departure time. Our flight was delayed leaving the US by about 40 minutes. By the time we landed late, got our bags, cleared customs, and found out where the TGV station was, we had just enough time to sprint there (not easy at our age). We got on board the train with about 40 seconds to spare before the doors closed. Never again. Give yourself plenty of time, or plan to buy tickets for the next train when you get there. Building in flexibility is a must.