Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Dijon

Should I book a seat on a train from Paris to Dijon ahead of time? We are leaving Paris on Sept 18 and headed for Dijon. It has been recommended to book the train from Dijon to Antibes in advance but I did not anticipate there being a problem with Paris to Dijon. Now as time approaches I am wondering if I should or "wing it" or schedule a ride in advance.

Thanks again,

Lorie

Posted by
16893 posts

On this route, you can choose either a reserved TGV departing from Gare de Lyon and taking 1.5 hours or an unreserved TER regional train, departing from Gare de Bercy (near Gare de Lyon) and taking 3 hours. You have plenty of departure options and can keep the plan flexible, if you wish. But if you choose the faster train, some discounted tickets are still available for departures during the 11:00 hour.

Posted by
6880 posts

You really should book the faster train if that's the one you want to take - not that it ever fills up outside of holidays, but it is cheapet in advance (if only slightly, at this stage).
However, I like the slow train on that route. The trains are old but comfy, typically quite empty, and the scenery is lovely.

Posted by
365 posts

Hi Laura,
I was investigating my options on The Trainline website. There is a SNCF or TGV Lyris. Do you understand the difference?

Thank you,

Lorie

Posted by
6880 posts

SNCF is the company, TGV Lyria is the type of train. Distinction irrelevant to the traveller.

Posted by
873 posts

Am planning on a visit to Dijon next May and would love your feedback on the town and what you enjoyed about it after you go. Thank you!

Posted by
365 posts

Jane,

Surly I would love to share our experience with you.

Regards,

Lorie
PS my companion's name is Jane

Posted by
120 posts

Welcome to Dijon Lorie, I hope you'll have a great time and I'd love to hear about your visit too! :)

Posted by
10 posts

My family and I were in Dijon beginning of August. We LOVED it. Wonderful architecture. Good food. Town center is very walkable. Public transit isn't that convenient, there's two trams that essentially run north/south and east/west. Everything is 10-15 minute walk. There is what looks like a wonderful market northeast of the train station. We didn't get to go which was sad. Two nice cathedrals to explore. Overall less expensive than Paris.