Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Colmar

We are looking at trains to Colmar and was wondering what is the difference in getting to train station in Paris East or to Gare de Lyon.
One takes more than three hours from Gare de Lyon and the Paris East takes 2 hours. Is Paris East a harder station to get around? We will be where the 7e and 15e meet. How long would it take to get to Paris East? We will be carrying our luggage and staying in Colmar 6 days.

Posted by
32213 posts

J&S,

From the general location you listed, getting to Paris Est will probably be a bit easier (Est is close to Gare du Nord, so fairlly central). You could take Metro from your hotel to the station, but a Taxi might be quicker and worth the extra money.

There's a direct departure from Paris Est at 09:25, arriving 11:43, and that would be the simplest and easiest option.

Posted by
8889 posts

Jerry&Stelly, it is not like airports, where if a city has multiple airports and you want to go to XX you have a choice of airports.
If a city has multiple stations, station AA will go to XX YY and ZZ, station BB will go to PP QQ and RR. It is dictated by where the tracks run.
From Paris Gare de L'Est, the high speed line runs to Strasbourg, and from there trains go to Sélestat and Colmar on the normal line (running at a slower speed, 200 Km/Hr (125 MPH)).
From Paris Gare de Lyon, the high speed line runs to either Lyon and Marseille, or to Mulhouse and Switzerland. From Mulhouse you can get a train to Colmar, but this route takes longer.

Unless you want to go the long way around, you don't have a choice of departure station, trains to one destination only go from one station.

Posted by
323 posts

Thank you both for that information. We may just take a taxi to the station. I am guessing you do not have to be there two hours ahead, like traveling by plane.

Posted by
20158 posts

30 minutes to walk from the taxi to the inside of the station and locate your track and walk to it should be plenty of time.

Posted by
8889 posts

Jerry&Stelly, you wrote: "I am guessing you do not have to be there two hours ahead" - too true. On TGV tickets (like the one I am using tomorrow) it says: "all TGV passengers are requested to board the train no later than two minutes before the stated departure time.", though there is nobody to enforce that.
I would allow at 10 minutes from your taxi pulling up at Gare de l'Est to allow you time to walk through the station, check the departure board and find your train. Should take no more than 5 minutes, or if you have more time you could buy some food for the journey.
There is a plan of the station here: http://www.railteam.eu/fr/files/2011/12/MAP_Paris-est_Fr.pdf