Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Chartres

We are interested in making a day trip from Paris to Chartres by train. How long is this train ride? Should I buy tickets on line to get the best price? I went to the SNCF site and saw the trip to be 2-3 hours with two stops? Does that sound correct? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
3044 posts

Yes, 2-3 hours, possibly a bit shorter. We went Chartres-Paris in 2017. I can't remember the Gare in Paris, but there is only one in Chartres.

Posted by
7808 posts

On the ouisncf site there are many direct trains a day taking 1 hour 45minutes from the Paris Gare Montparnasse train station to Chartres

Posted by
23240 posts

We were in Paris three, four years ago. Actually stayed in Chartres for a couple of nights and then came into Paris. As I remember it was a pretty quick ride. Don't think it was anywhere near three hours or even two. Double check that and make sure you have correct spelling of the names and didn't accidently input a different town.

Posted by
2 posts

We are flying into Charles DeGalle and want to get to the Gare Montparnasse station to travel to Chartres. Can someone advise directions and how long we should plan for this connection?

Posted by
8035 posts

rule of thumb for a train from Paris when arriving at CDG is 4 hours. You can take an airport bus as one stops at Montparnasse or a cab which would cost 58 after Feb 1 for 4 people and luggage (4 Euro per person extra for additional passengers above 4). The bus might be cost effective for 2 but wouldn't be for 4. This doesn't guarantee you make it but gives you time for an exceptionally long immigration passport control line and slow luggage retrieval (CDG is always slow.). We average about an hour in immigration but it can stretch to two hours if your timing is behind a couple of huge flights or the staff is slowing down or they are short staffing. Then it takes at least an hour to get into town. The 4 hours gives you a little cushion although a seriously late plane will still blow through this window. for years most of our flights were half an hour to an hour late (once 5 hours) but we have noticed lately this is mostly a bit better. We had friends caught up in the American airlines slow down this fall who ended up stranded overnight half way there and they arrived a day late. If possible plan this as a day trip a day or two after you arrive so you don't have to worry about connections.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks so much for the replies. Do you know if I should buy tickets on line prior to our trip for best price? or are the same if we buy them when we get to the train station? Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
3961 posts

We took the train from Gare Montparneasse with Rail Europe in 2013. At that time it was about an hours journey. Rail Europe's current site says the average travel time is 1hr45 minutes. The quickest route is 59 mins. There is an average of 36 trains a day servicing this route, leaving approximately every 33 mins. We were meeting our RS Loire to the South of France Tour.

A day trip is nice, but that said, we spent 2 nights there. I think one night would be ideal if you want to see the magnificent light show on the facade of the cathedral, and an historic tour of the Cathedral with the acclaimed Malcolm Miller. It is a charming town just to meander and enjoy the beauty and vibe of Chartres.

For further information check the Search source on rs.com for a plethora of information.

Posted by
6487 posts

The D Bahn website shows frequent trains from Gare Montparnasse to Chartres, taking between one and 1.25 hours. You don't need to buy a ticket in advance, and you wouldn't want to commit to a specific train after a flight anyway, for the reasons Janet gave. The bus service between CDG and Gare Montparnasse, Le Bus Direct, is a good value for a couple. Take route 4.

Posted by
36 posts

Clarification to my post. We plan on just taking a day trip to Chartres from Paris during our trip. We will be not be leaving from the airport. We plan on leaving about 8-9 AM from the 3rd Arrondissement. Thanks again. There is another questioner asking about Chartres from CDG.

Posted by
23240 posts

That is why hijacking some one else question is discourage since it leads to confusion. And to add to the confusion ---- took the train from Paris Montparneasse with Rail Europe in 2013 ---- Rail Europe is a travel agency and not a train company. They just sell tickets and do not operate any trains.

Posted by
3961 posts

Frank, to clarify, I believe we bought our train tickets through Rail Europe in 2013. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you!

Posted by
7025 posts

There are many direct trains that take about 1hr 10mins. Cost is about €36 and I don't see any price advantage purchasing way in advance. I used this website.

Posted by
12172 posts

Chartres is definitely worth the trip. When I was there I would have loved to stay later for the light show on the cathedral - but I had a date in Paris and had to get back before dinner time.

If you are trying to get to Chartres the same day you arrive in Paris, I wouldn't advise buying tickets in advance. You're relying on too many things to go as planned. My experience, coming from Iceland with Passport stamped and one carry on only, is it takes right at an hour to get out of CDG (more if you need your passport stamped and have checked bags), add another hour to get to Paris plus maybe 45 more minutes to get to Montparnesse and find a train. Add extra time if you need to check into lodging or any stops along the way.

I'd advise staying at least one night in Paris to get acclimated, more if you can. Feeling rested and relaxed beats trying to squeeze something into every second by a mile. It's hard to tell people that but everyone learns eventually.

If you're already in Paris, check a variety of trains on the schedule. Some trains are very direct and don't take long at all. Others stop at many more stations and take a lot longer. I remember Chartres being a lot less than two hours by train - but my memory may be faulty. I always shop duration when buying tickets online. If you are waking up in Paris and making a day trip (no checking in or out of lodging) PLUS aren't a long metro ride to Montparnesse, it's good to reserve your train tickets and save some money. You only need to arrive 15 to 20 minutes before your train. They don't post gates till then anyway. Don't waste money on first class or seat reservations, you won't need either.

I always book online then print my boarding pass at the station. They have yellow kiosks similar to what airlines have at airports. Supposedly you need the credit card you purchased your ticket with. I've always been able to print with my reservation code (just like at airports).

Posted by
3044 posts

We were in Chartres for several days. It's a nice small town. The "son et lumière" show on the Cathedral is great, but there are at least 10 other places in town which have projected lights. It's fun to go around and find them. I'd try to stay and see some, but that would require returning to Paris after dark or staying overnight.

Posted by
4077 posts

We took this train in June to get to the start of our RS Loire to the South of France tour. There are plenty if daily trains so no need to book ahead, I believe it's a regular commuter route so no discounts to book in advance.

Gare Montparnasse is a confusing train station and we had challenges finding the correct ticket machine and then the track our train was on. Also were challenged to find someone who spoke English that could help us. Eventually all worked out but it took us about half an hour from getting off the subway to getting our tickets and to the train. Plan for a bit of confusion at that station.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply. It sounds like we may avoid confusion by buying tickets on line prior to trip but doesn't look like there is any monetary advantage in buying tickets early. We are looking forward to our time in Paris.

Posted by
10176 posts

It’s a local train, a TER. Those tickets aren’t sold on line and the price doesn’t change. It takes 1-1:15 hours depending on the stops. I don’t know where you and Paul are seeing 2-3 hours but it must be posted somewhere. It’s a local commuter train that I’ve taken several times.

Posted by
9549 posts

Just a line to support what Allan said — Montparnasse seems to me to be the most confusing of Paris’s big train stations (in particular because of all the different levels), so allow yourself extra time to get oriented and find your track etc.

Posted by
1335 posts

You want to go to the correct floor of Montparnasse...the Chartres trains generally leave from the very right side of the hall. It will be the same area as the bigger cities (often the terminus of this line is Le Mans. Sometimes it's Nogent-le-Rotrou, sometimes it's Chartres).

I lived in Chartres after my undergrad, so if I can answer any questions, please let me know.