Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Bayeux

We are having trouble finding a direct train from Paris to Bayeux on May 31, 2019. I have found them before but now all I can come up with is having to change trains twice and a 4-5 hour trip. Any suggestions?

Posted by
6501 posts

The DB Bahn website is showing six trains on May 31 from St-Lazare, at roughly two-hour intervals, leaving between 7:05 and 19:09. Three of them are direct trains taking about 2 hours 10 minutes. Two others change at Caen and one at Rouen and again at Caen, taking longer, but the longest takes about 3 1/2 hours.

Posted by
139 posts

I am having the same issue. I am looking for a direct train from Paris to Bayeux on June 2. As the OP stated, I found numerous direct trains in the past but today only 4 options, all with connections and the earliest was roughly at 11 am. I was on the OUI.sncf website, which I thought was the official site for the trains. It also shows them all leaving from Gare Montparnasse, none from St Lazare which I thought was odd.

Posted by
7295 posts

I don't know about that OUI, it looks like a third-party interpolation that would send me running away. But even on the SNCF website, I see the same thing reported above. I don't think it's "Sunday", because there's not a single fast trip. And the next day, June 3 looks normal. I have to suggest there's a construction plan of some kind. Is that a D-Day anniversary weekend??

Edit: I agree with the later comment about OUI, although it was en.oui.sncf for me just now. (Some people report sites as being only in the local language, in some discussions here ... ... ) I only used the Itinerary tool, so oui must be their e-commerce site. It is legitimate.

Posted by
12 posts

I’m not sure if it’s construction or the DDay Anniversary but I’ve tried everything.
Thanks Dick for the DB Bahn info but could not book a ticket there either.
I appreciate all the help, not sure what we will do.

Posted by
1137 posts

For some reason, the direct trains—of which there are many—don't appear on the web site until you get closer to the date you are interested in. I would hold out, but definitely use the SNCF web site. They are the ones who actually operate these trains.

Posted by
139 posts

It is my understanding that OUI.sncf is the official French railway site. I believe I got that information on this forum. Can anyone confirm that for me? As for the construction..... that’s disappointing. It seems as though the weekend before the 75th anniversary of D Day would be a busy travel weekend! Hopefully they will open some of those trains out of Gare St Lazare. I will check back frequently. Thanks for the “heads up”!

Posted by
139 posts

I just went to snfc.com. When I clicked on “reserver” it sent me to OUI.sncf. That is the official site. I will check back and hope there are at least a couple of direct trains to Bayeux. I just checked on a one day car rental from Paris to Bayeux and the price was ridiculously high! I thought I had covered all my bases but I never thought to check on construction on weekends!!!

Posted by
12 posts

Many thanks to most of you for your kind help. Even the chat experts on the sncf site are puzzled. I tried to check bus transportation and nothing came up. We were originally hoping to reserve the train that was a little over two hours as our time is limited and now I am hoping to book the next closest train that is about 4 hours. If we could change our lodging we would but, most places are already reserved due to the 75th D-Day Anniversary.
Again, thank you!

Posted by
1 posts

You're not the only one scrambling! I had to change our tour date due to the train schedule. Thankfully we had one day that we could switch to (and the tour company did it with no problems), but now everything else has moved around. The way it goes with travel...always something!

Posted by
139 posts

I had the same issue trying to book a train from Paris to Bayeux on Sunday June 2. There were only four trains, all from gare Montparnasse, expensive, undesirable times and long journeys. However, today I checked and they have added several trains from gare St Lazare. I just booked a direct train, early morning and only 9 euros. I booked on trainline because oui.sncf would not take my credit card. Trainline showed the same trains at the same price. Check the trains again if you have not already booked

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you Kathy! This is a big help for travel on the 2nd, which is when we will return to Paris and catch a train to Bruges. The 31st has not changed and is still a 5 hour trip but we can work with that. We will be crossing paths, I’m praying you have a fun and safe trip!

Posted by
139 posts

If you can wait a little longer to book the train I would wait and see if the train schedule changes over the next week or two. I can’t imagine that there will not be better options particuliarly for that week. Bayeux is going to be very busy for the 75th anniversary of D- Day. I was also looking at trains for Paris - Vernon (Giverny) on Saturday June 1. Until today there were only 2 options and neither were good. This morning I noticed many more trains added for that day. Hope you too have a wonderful and safe trip!

Posted by
786 posts

I'm not an expert, having only made this trip once, but the same thing happened to us and comes up often here on the forum. I waited and waited, seeing only the five-hour options. Finally, a month or two before our dates (don't recall precisely) the direct trains appeared on the SNCF site. It's a pleasant and relaxing ride. I'd wait until closer to your dates. There will also be trains to Caen, where you can walk across the platform to change to the Bayeux train. Looks easy, though we were on the direct Paris-Bayeux train.

Posted by
9564 posts

Can confirm that oui.sncf is the official French railway site.

A bit of (sorely misguided) branding makeover on their part.

Posted by
45 posts

My family and I will be traveling from Paris to Bayeaux on Sunday June 2 and I just booked the tickets on a direct train the other day. They had four or five running that date. I had to use the Trainline website because the SCNF website would not accept my credit cards. Trainline had the same trains at the same prices. Have a great trip.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the good information. We have ended up renting a van for our travel from Paris to Bayeux, to Bruges, and to Amsterdam. Due to train construction issues, the trains did not work for us.

Posted by
2 posts

I am so glad I found this site! We are getting ready to book train tickets round trip from Paris to Bayeux for the last weekend in June (Friday to Sunday) -- as soon as they open up for purchase later this week. Our return trip is really Bayeux to Brussels, and after seeing these posts, I looked more carefully. The trains look like they come in to St. Lazare and then we will have to transfer to Gare du Nord. Is 1 hour enough time to transfer easily? Are there taxis readily available? It looks like there is bus service, but taxis may be easier for our family of 5 . . .

Thank you for any advice!