Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Avignon

For fellow travelers that helped advise me I want you to know our reservations in Vaucuse opened up an extra night and we don't have to stay a one night in Nimes. Our itinerary is now smooth sailing.

Traveling from Paris to Avignon by train. We will rent a car and stay in Saumane de Vaucluse for 4 days and take day trips from there. The morning that we depart from Paris to Avignon we would like to tour Avignon. We would greatly appreciate your recommendations in navigating the rental car and train and baggage storage.

Do we take the train from Paris to TGV or to Avignon Center? Do they both have rental cars?
I would imagine it is best to tour the city have lunch etc and then pick up rental car yes?
If so can we store our luggage and what is the best place to do so?
Thanks
Lisa

Posted by
20178 posts

There is an Avis and a Europcar location just outside the TGV station. Look at Nannybag for luggage storage. Looks like one place is the Ibis Budget Hotel near the Avignon Centre train station.
https://www.nannybag.com/en

Posted by
375 posts

You could also get your rental car, put your luggage into the car, leave it in the rental car lot, and shuttle into town. I'd check with the rental desk to make sure you wouldn't have any trouble exiting the lot later. (or move it to another station parking lot.)

Having been to Avignon a couple of times, we might also consider driving 10 minutes from the TGV into town and parking in one of the paid lots on the outside of the ring road, and then walk right into the old part.

If you've set up a walking tour of Avignon with a local guide, they might also pick you up at the TGV..it's worth asking.

Posted by
817 posts

Trains from Paris will arrive at Avignon TGV. There is a quick train (6 minute) that runs from Avignon TGV to Avignon Center usually twice an hour or so - check but usually 10 and 57 past the hour recently. There are multiple car rental agencies right outside the TGV station but little else including no left luggage/consignee facilities. You can buy a ticket for a couple of dollars for any train that day before you go or buy one there. If you buy one there cancel it on the station platform before you board but I was never checked for a ticket while riding the short train.

Avignon Center station is across the street from the city gates to Avignon and it is a quick and obvious walk. There are no left luggage facilities in Avignon Center but there is a place just inside the city that is mentioned on the train station website and other provate services like Luggage Nanny that fill this role.
https://pro.provenceguide.co.uk/533/new-la-consigne-luggage-lockers-in-avignon/

Your choices are essentially rent the car when you get into TGV, drive to Avignon and park it with your luggage in it. Or take the train to Center with your luggage, store it using one of the services, train back to TGV with your luggage, rent your car and leave from there. Both involve some hassle but depending on your travel style and the amount of luggage one of these options probably makes more sense to you.

The tourist office in Avignon has recently put together 3 different walking tours based on different interests that I thought were interesting.

People have reported that there is a car rental place in Avignon proper but also that it was booked up for all the times they tried. I rented from TGV so I don't know what the details are on renting in the city. This would save you a train trip back the TGV station but involve renting and driving in the city as opposed to the TGV station which is well outside the city proper.

Have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you all so much for your replys. This site has been so great and everyones input has helped us to craft and re craft our itinerary. Lisa