Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Arles, then Arles to Barcelona

Hello, all!

I'm looking at trainline, loco2, and idtgv app for train fares. This is my first ever attempt to naviagate Europe, France, and trains. LOL. My husband and I are staying at the Hotel Bastille Speria in Paris and are traveling to Arles on July 4th-7th. The train leaves from Gare du Nord and stops in Avignon. It looks like the train stops at Avignon TGV station but then shuttles to Avignon Center? (or vice versa?) Then from the center to Arles. It seems slightly complicated? Has anyone done this? I'm going to try to use maps to see if Gare du Nord is close to our hotel or not.

I also need to book train tickets to Barcelona from Arles. It seems like I can't do that trip without at least two stops. Either in Avignon or Nimes, then in Perpignan. Does this sound right?

Side note: I also had a really hard time finding a hotel in Arles that was not booked for the dates we'll be there in July. We ended up at the Hotel du Mas de la Chapelle. Has anyone had any experience with this hotel?

I appreciate any insight. Thank you so much!

Posted by
7175 posts

A couple of direct services each day eliminate the need to transfer in Avignon.

TGV 6193
Dep 11:41 PARIS GARE DE LYON (France)
Arr 15:39 ARLES (France)

Posted by
20 posts

David, That would be great! Which website did you see those trains listed at? Are there other places to book trains that I don't know about?

Posted by
27120 posts

Arles has a music festival this on July 10-16. Perhaps you hit some of those days? There's also a contemporary photography festival beginning on July 3, but it extends into September and seems less likely to have a major impact on demand for hotels.

I think there's an 8:43 AM TGV from Avignon to Barcelona that doesn't require a change at the border, but you'd have to start out earlier to get to Avignon in time.

Posted by
20090 posts

I don't see how you can get a train from Gare du Nord to Arles. All the trains from Gare du Nord are heading north and northeast, as its name would imply. Trains to Arles and anywhere to the south would leave from Gare de Lyon.

Posted by
4132 posts

JM,

Transfers are not a big deal, usually, on European trains.

The best, easiest resource for checking routes and timetables (but not necessarily for buying tickets) is the German rail site: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

It's easy to navigate and shows every train that has been scheduled. Use it to see when and where the trains go, and then SNCF or the rail site of your choice to buy the tickets.

The European trains are really wonderful, and you've picked some top-flight destinations! Have a great time.

Posted by
7841 posts

Yes I've had problems booking on SNCF from United States. From what I remember they own RailEurope and try to steer users to that site which is more expensive.

Posted by
20 posts

Sam, you are correct! I typed Gare du Nord by accident somehow. I was probably reading another website at the time. ;)

We are in Arles the 4th-7th. None of the hotels I emailed mentioned why they were booked, but there is definitely something going around. I think I contacted at least ten different places.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into all of these. Sometimes it's just hard booking or thinking about booking so early when you don't really know how much time you want to spend some where. I'm so excited, though!

Posted by
4044 posts

SNCF has gradually modernized its web presence and it is easier for Americans to avoid the dreaded bump to RailEurope. Try this site: https://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/
Specifying where the tickets will be picked up also appears to have disappeared (I enjoyed specifying Antarctica.) I can't comment on the difficulties some American credit-card users have had booking on-line, although the problems seemed to arise from their banks' creaky credit-card technology. www.seat61.com can suggest booking and purchase alternatives.
The link above will show you several trains with one connection in Nimes. That's where you catch the fast train, a joint operation between French and Spanish rail companies, with reservations required. The initial train from Arles will be either TER or Intercites. The former is the local train which can be pretty basic with no seat reservations. The Intercites allow seat reservations.