Please sign in to post.

Train from Nice to Paris

Hello! My husband and I will be in France for our honeymoon in April. We'll be spending a weekend in Nice and then heading to Paris for five days. Does anyone have a train recommendation from Nice to Paris? And how far in advance should the tickets be bought? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Posted by
922 posts

Look for the Oui.sncf web site and book in advance if you know your travel dates. We are taking the 10:00 train to Paris on Wednesday. I booked well in advance - 3 months - for a Prems fare (non-refundable) in first class for 66 euros each.

Posted by
27184 posts

It's likely that the longer you wait, the more you will pay. It could be a lot more. The cheapest tickets (which may or may not still be available at this point) are non-refundable/non-changeable, so be very certain about your preferred date and time.

Check schedules and fares on the SNCF website. If you have trouble buying there, you can use trainline.eu. Some of the other sources of European rail tickets do not display all the options (perhaps omitting some less-expensive ones) and/or charge substantial extra fees.

Posted by
16893 posts

The fast, reserved TGV trains provide the majority of service on this route. Since full fare goes up to $200 per person in 2nd class, booking in advance is the way to get a better price. A lot of these TGVs are "Duplex" or double-deckers, usually with first class seating on the upper level, providing a better view at those times when the train is running past walls and hedges. Tickets should already be on sale for your travel date. The only other practical comparison is to fly; see www.skyscanner.com.

Posted by
9627 posts

Yes, go ahead and buy your tickets now, if you know your dates. They will only get more expensive as the days go on . (Actually if your honeymoon is later in April, tickets may not yet be available for your dates. French trains usually open up for sale 92 days in advance.)

Many people have reported to the helpline that they have found the trainline.eu interface and purchase system easier to deal with than the oui.sncf site. Prices are the same, there's no extra charge to buy from Trainline.

Posted by
32214 posts

Jackie,

You can also book tickets for trains in France using www.trainline.eu. You'll have to register on the website first and provide payment details, but after that it's very user friendly. They also have a smartphone app.

I'd suggest using one of the direct trains on that route (some have one change). You might consider a departure from Nice Villa at 10:00, arriving Paris Gare de Lyon at 15:41. I'd also suggest having your Nice hotel pre-arrange a Taxi for the trip to Nice Ville.

Using an arbitrary date of 12 April, the Trainline website currently shows second class tickets at €47 PP / first class €72 PP. *Note that discounted tickets are usually non-refundable and non-changeable once purchased, so choose carefully before buying.

Which mode of transport to use from Gare de Lyon to your Paris hotel will depend to some extent on which area of Paris the hotel is located in.

Congratulations and Bon Voyage!

Posted by
4051 posts

The high-speed trains are a special experience in their own right. However, going west from Nice along the Mediterranean you will not travel at head-spinning speeds as the tracks aren't good enough. Turn north, and hold on. It is worthwhile being at the station a half-hour early so you can board as soon as the departure track number is announced. Storage room for bigger pieces of luggage is somewhat cramped. If this is your first trip, you should know that your ticket purchase includes a reserved seat and is for a specific day and time. It will be scanned by an attendant during the ride.

Posted by
1829 posts

If you don't get the best/lowest rate on the train tickets ; a flight to ORY airport can often be cheaper (even with luggage).
While the amount of actual time saved can be debated ; it is at least a little faster to fly and there are many flights per day on multiple airlines.

Any way I would say that it is worth checking into both options.
From say Avignon to Paris the train which is high speed the whole time is a no brainer ; from Nice which is only partially high speed I think you will find opinions split.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! We decided to take a train because it will give us time to relax, go through photos and just unwind. Plus we never take trains here in the States, so we figured it'd be a different scene! I really appreciate all the feedback!