Please sign in to post.

Train from CDG to Avignon

Morning,
We are landing at CDG at 6:00AM, on a Sunday morning, and will need to get the TGV to Avignon. I see that there are TGV trains at 8:00AM and 10:00AM. I'd love to make the 8:00AM, but worry about delays, security, etc. Anyone have experience with making this type of connection?
Thank you

Posted by
116 posts

Hi

Back in March 2018, I landed at Charles de Gaulle in Paris at 8:12 A.M., got thru customs at 9:09 & ran what felt like a mile through the airport to make a 9:19 train. I took that train 1 stop then got on a 3 hr high speed train that took me to Avignon. That was pre-Covid obviously. I suspect if your Covid paper work is in order, you could make the 8:00 but I'd probably err on the side of caution and go for the 10:00.

Posted by
954 posts

If your flight is on time, then I think you could make it pretty easily. We landed three weeks ago and we’re at the train area quite quickly.

However, my daughter landed last week and her flight was an hour late due to weather in the US. The two hour connection would’ve possibly been a problem.

Posted by
3592 posts

I’m assuming that you will buy your tickets in advance and go for a no change option. Personally, I would be very stressed out trying to make the 2 hour connection. I would worry about it all the way across the Atlantic. You can use some of the longer connection time to freshen up, have a coffee and pastry, even doze a bit in one of the seats in the boarding area.

Posted by
92 posts

Not sure what the price difference is for buying the train tickets at CDG vs buying in advance, but that might be the better option in this case.

Posted by
6883 posts

There is usually a big saving if you buy in advance, and trains do get full anyway.
I would aim for the 10 AM train to be sure. In any case, you would probably not be able to access your accomodation if you reach Avignon before 12 PM, so arriving later is no big deal in my opinion!

Posted by
79 posts

Thank you for all your replies. You've been confirming my initial inclination.....to book the 10:00AM. I AM a worrier, so doing so will alleviate some stress.

Posted by
6883 posts

Also, you might already know, but there are two stations in Avignon: Avignon-Centre and Avignon-TGV. Avignon TGV is in the outskirts, with all the rental car offices, and Avignon Centre is right outside the city walls of Avignon, accessed by a 5-10 minute train ride from Avignon TGV.
If you book to Avignon Centre, your ticket will include that connecting train ride. A taxi from Avignon TGV is also feasible, but I do not know how many are typically available without prior booking.

Posted by
79 posts

Thank you, I did know there are two train stations in Avignon. We will probably take a taxi from the station when we exit the station.