Please sign in to post.

Train from CDG to Avignon

Hello fellow travellers. We are arriving at 10 am so I am looking to book our train to Avignon but the earliest departure I'm seeing is at 5 pm. For some reason I thought the trains departed every couple of hours. I am looking on the SNCF site. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better plan to avoid spending the day in the airport? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Posted by
7850 posts

What day?
You might have to just go from the airport to Gare de Lyon for more options.

You'll probably need to head into the city to Gare de Lyon for frequent connections south. CDG's gare is, in my view, not a high-activity train station.

That said, CDG is a fascinating place to people watch. You'll see folks from all over the world going through there in varieties of local dress you would have to spend thousands of dollars to see by traveling to all those destinations individually. It's probably one of the best places to people watch I have seen in my six decades of casting a shadow on this planet.

If you arrive at 10 on a flight, you'll be off your flight (assuming its on time) by 11 or so. Through passport check maybe by 11:30. You could grab a quick sandwich at a bakery and be bored or invest in a better restaurant and take a couple of hours to relax with a carafe of wine. Then, at around 2, mosey out to a busy section of the terminal and watch the fascinating parade of humanity pass by. Around 4, make your way down to the train station, composter your tickets, find your voie, and be on your way to Avignon.

There are worse ways to spend a day.

Posted by
16893 posts

I currently see tickets for sale at oui.sncf for a direct departure around noon (probably too early for you to count on) and the next options with a connection at Lyon's Part-Dieux station, or Marseille or Aix-en-Provence (partly by budget-style OUIGO service). My test search was from CDG to Avignon TGV station, knowing that you'd still have to connect into town from there. If you choose Avignon Centre station, the additional connection will be reflected.

Posted by
787 posts

We recently had a similar decision to make, arriving into CDG only a little later than you, and then moving on to (for us) Aix-en-Provence. We didn't want to book that earlier TGV from CDG, on the off chance that our plane arrived late; we also decided we didn't want to be stressing during the entire flight about missing the train. Going into Paris to catch a more-frequent TGV from Gare de Lyon would not save us any time, we felt. And I also didn't really want to spend the afternoon in the airport; I don't find it very fun.

In the end, we decided to spend that day in Paris, staying in a part of the city that we hadn't spent much time in (the part near Gare de Lyon). It worked out very well for us. We arrived into Paris (on time), dropped our bags at our hotel, then explored the eastern part of the Marais. We had a delightful dinner at a little bistro I've had my eye on for years, took at walk and had a late-night drink at a cafe. In the morning, we had a quick cafe and croissant while people-watching, then headed to the train station and off to Provence. Not the usual plan that I have (which is to get to the final destination as quickly as possible), but it was a great decision for us!

Posted by
12172 posts

Have you considered a flight? Since you are at CDG, it would be much easier, cheaper and faster to fly to Avignon (probably an hour flight versus at least four hours to get there by train).

The SCNF site will give you routing options that include going downtown to catch a train. Air France site will tell you the most convenient flight to Avignon.

Posted by
873 posts

I am with Lexma......we did the exact same thing they did.....flew into Paris, dropped our luggage at our Marais hotel, explored, ate a nice falllafel, got to bed early to shake off the jet lag and then trained the next day from Paris to Avignon after a croissant at a local bakery.....it was delightful! We took the opportunity to have a delicious falafel at L’As du Fallafel....it in the Marais.......so worth it!

Posted by
548 posts

Have you considered a flight? Since you are at CDG, it would be much
easier, cheaper and faster to fly to Avignon (probably an hour flight
versus at least four hours to get there by train).

Be aware this will involve flying to Marseille-Provence airport, which is about 70 km (as the crow flies, longer on the road) southeast of Avignon city. There is an airport called Avignon-Provence airport, but there are no flights to Paris, with the only flights being seasonal ones to Southampton and Birmingham in the UK.

Posted by
19 posts

taking a risk and landing at CDG then going to Gare Lyon for faster and earlier Train to Avignon. Pray we make it, BUT what is fastest way to get to Gare Lyon. Is there a special rate Taxi I think I read about??

Posted by
46 posts

The high-speed train from CDG to Avignon takes about 2:50. Consider using OUIGO, a low-budget alternative to TGV which might provide more options.

Posted by
4 posts

There are TGV trains from CDG Terminal 2 TGV train station to Avignon about every 1-2 hours, prices ranging from 25-105€ with travel times between 3h47m to 5h30 (due to station stops) for September 11, but the schedule is similar for any day:

https://imgur.com/a/sz2mluy

Find tickets from the national railway website: https://en.oui.sncf/en/

Details on getting to CDG Terminal 2 TGV train station:
https://parisbytrain.com/paris-airport-terminal-2-train-photo-tour/