Please sign in to post.

Train Dijon to Antibes More info needed...

Hello helpful France travelers,

I am in the home stretch of planning my first trip to France. This is the Readers Digest version of our itinerary :
Arrive Sat. Sept 14, 9 am Paris time. Check into our hotel. Relax, eat, Eiffel tower tour already booked, retire for the night. Then several days of touring, museums, eating, drinking, shopping.. etc. Just in Paris. No planned out of city tours.

Wednesday, Sept 18 train to Dijon. Fast train standard class travel, time approximately 1.5 hours. Winery and food tours.

Friday, Sept 20 train to Anitbes.... It is approximately 7-8 hour train ride. We are losing a whole day. Should I take a very early train or an afternoon train? Do I go 1st class? I want to be comfortable. I am not sure of the difference between 2nd and 1st class. Should I bring food? I will have a small insulated lunch case. Also, I read some of the trains offer upper and lower decks. What are the differences except of course the obvious?

Despite the uncertainties I am very adaptable and will go with the flow... it is certainly going to be an adventure.

Your help is as always very much appreciated.
Best regards,

Lorieann

Posted by
6916 posts

The post above is a bit puzzling, as there is no night train from Dijon to Antibes.
I would take an early train on the 20th, as the afternoon of the 18th is enough to see Dijon and you have the 19th for a wine tour.
First class is nicer, but not a must. I typically take it when it's no more than 10-20% more expensive (pricing varies). Most important thing to me, is to pick a seat that is not around a table of four, especially in second class, because these are quite tight. SNCF website and app let you pick a seating arrangement.
There is a cafe bar on the TGV trains with decent choice but you might find it better to pack a sandwich and some snacks. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Depends how early you decide to leave (if it's very early you might struggle finding somewhere to get snacks), and how long your connections will be.

Upper deck has much nicer views, I recommend it for visitors. Downsides are that it's busier because the cars connect between each other through the upper deck, and that it sways a bit more if you have motion sickness (Personally, I can't work on a computer for very long upstairs, whereas it's not a problem downstairs).

Posted by
7039 posts

According to SNCF website - which I assume to be the final word on French trains - the last train from Dijon to Antibes on Sept 20 leaves at 17:52 and arrives in Antibes at 00:46. But that train has 2 changes and wouldn't be my first choice. Actually I would choose the one direct train that day - leaves at 16:20 and arrives at 22:20. According to the website that is also the cheapest priced tickets that day which would also sway me in that direction. Here's the schedule.

Posted by
10209 posts

That old night train still makes the mail run—flee. I used to get a nasty cold every time I took one of those. Nancy’s option of a direct train is excellent. And though food may be listed as offered, we’ve run into dining cars “exceptionally “ closed many, many times. So grabbing something from one of the stands in the station to take with you would be wise.
The train will slow down after Marseille as the tracks can’t handle high speed. If you are seated facing forward on the right/starboard side, you’ll have the best views. First class offers single seats if you don’t want to share a double seat.

Posted by
365 posts

Hey.... You guys are GREAT!

Merci beaucoup,

Lorieann