Please sign in to post.

Tours, France

I'm thinking of renting an airbnb for a month in Tours, and attending CLE french school as a beginner. I've been to that region and like the proximity to Paris, however... Is it a nice little city?

Posted by
7036 posts

Yes, I thought ti was a nice little city. Has a nice old town center, lots of restaurants, etc. And the fact that it's a transportation hub for the area makes it extremely convenient for getting to other places. I;d probably choose to stay there for a month if there was a specific reason to be in that area.

Posted by
6 posts

Bonjour!

I am one of Rick's France-based tour guides and I live in Tours. Let me know if you have any questions about the city. I will be happy to help. Clé is an excellent school to study the French language. Tours makes a good home-base to explore the Loire Valley without a car. Most trains connect here anyway when coming from other towns. There are plenty of short-term apartment rentals to pick from. It's a safe town overall, much more peaceful and less crowded than Paris, but with enough things to do in town or in the area to keep you busy. It's also laidback, and a great way to experience French life outside the capital city. A bientôt.

Posted by
35 posts

Oh, yay!!! Your feedback is invaluable! I've also heard it has a very 'pure' accent:) I refuse to use a car in a country with such a good rail system. I've noticed how well-connected Tours is. I will formulate questions. Merci beaucoup

Posted by
1337 posts

Also look at the Institut de Touraine. They're excellent. I studied there 2 times and have gone for teacher trainings as well. Tours is the perfect little city "à la taille humaine". Always something going on, beautiful, historic, and great food.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you! The situation I'm currently experiencing is, that as a mature student and a complete beginner, I don't know where I can do an intensive (3+ hrs/ day) language class. Clé, although wonderful with very small classes, only offers one hr tutoring unless there happens to be other beginners. I admit to not noticing that...I will look into the school you suggest, I've heard it's very good, also .

Posted by
10229 posts

We stayed in Tours for 4 nights in 2022 and enjoyed it very much. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.

Posted by
2189 posts

“France with Vero” on YouTube has several videos on Tours, showing you what a beautiful city it is. She has also done videos on the Loire Valley, which cover the highlights and hidden gems of the region.