Please sign in to post.

Tour guide in Paris

We’re looking for a good tour guide in Paris to help us get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. We’re going at the beginning of August and it looks like tickets are not available for purchase online. A quick check on Viator seems to suggest that professional guides and tour companies have access to tickets that the public does not.

Thanks!
Matt

Posted by
5998 posts

Or that the tour guides/companies buy up as many tickets as possible. Folks then have a choice of skipping the venue or purchasing a tour at a higher cost than the price of the ticket. It is very discouraging and happens with many sites.

Paris will be extremely busy during your visit as the Olympics will be going on.

Incidentally, I have been to Paris at least four times and have not been up the Eiffel Tower. I like seeing the Eiffel Tower in my photos. Thus I've gone to the Pompidou, Notre Dame bell tower, Montmarte and Arc de Triomphe for the views. Also, I always make sure to see the Eiffel Tower at night.

Posted by
581 posts

The ticket offerings are being delayed because of the Olympics. Have read elsewhere that they are more likely available 2+ weeks ahead instead of the usual 60 days, The official ET website warns that 3rd parties advertising their tours do not have tickets beyond the availability dates and may cancel you at the last minute.

Posted by
465 posts

Viator, a third party vendor, sells you advance tickets that they don't actually have, but that they hope to have. And when they don't,they cancel you last minute. The official Eiffel Tower website warns of this, and due to the Olympics, official ticket sales are different and not going on sale as far in advance. Keep checking their website.

Posted by
10318 posts

"Incidentally, I have been to Paris at least four times and have not been up the Eiffel Tower.”

Me, too, except it was 40 years of living in or visiting Paris before I went up the ET. It was nice. It certainly was not a life-changing experience.

Posted by
789 posts

The website explicitly says that they aren't on sale yet for that time and to NOT buy tickets from 3rd party resellers....it looks like they are hovering around a 30 day release at the moment (I am aiming for the 31st of July and the website says they will be on sale on July 1) so I would do some practice runs and see if you can get the hang of it.....also, at midnight Paris time, click the latest date you can get (since we are technically a day prior at midnight), then proceed through the selections and then you will be able to get the 60th day.....

Also, though we haven't been able to verify because it's not close enough yet, but USUALLY at 1pm Paris time a week in advance more go on sale....

Posted by
376 posts

Last summer, I was a member of a Facebook group on traveling in Paris. (I’ve since left the group because they were crazy). at least once a day it seemed like somebody was posting about how the night before their Eiffel Tower tour Viator had sent a message going “sorry you don’t have a tour, here’s a refund”