Please sign in to post.

Tolls From Paris to Normandy July 23, 2021

Hi Everyone!

Because I have a soft spot in my heart for Normandy and D-Day, and really it is hard to tour D-day beaches/sites without a car, I bit the bullet and rented a car. We left Paris this morning. I could not avoid the tolls because also we do not have cellular data and all the GPS's route you to the toll roads. In Rick's books it says to bring change for the tolls on that route. However, I believe some things have changed since he last updated his books on that route which I believe was pre-Covid. I have a VISA card that has that contactless logo (sort of looks like a WiFi logo with the little waves) and that worked! At one booth that function was out of order and I simply put my credit card in, chip first, and it worked! We ALWAYS took the booths that said Euro's. I was afraid to use any others; even though we craned our necks to see, we could not see whether the other booths took credit cards. They were labelled with a lower-case "t"; I belive there is a special toll card that locals can get. Anywhere you can, bear to the right when a toll booth comes up as the booths that take Euro's are mainly to the right. Do not get stuck in a fast lane on the left for fear of getting dinged by your rental car company. And it's expensive!! 4 Euro's per toll (!!!) and I will estimate that I hit toll booths 5 or 6 times. The (unmanned) booths also took bills and made change. A few times we did see people trying to back up for whatever reason so if you end up in the wrong booth, just know that even locals back out of booths sometimes! No-one made any rude gestures at them, they all just backed up as well to let the people back out! I hope this helps! Keep on travellin'!

Posted by
11150 posts

all the GPS's route you to the toll roads.

Mine has an option to 'avoid toll roads'. ( TomTom)

Good to know it worked out for you.

Posted by
2542 posts

The toll booths with the ¨t¨ are definitely for the exclusive use of those subscribed to the toll tag service. There is almost always a cash/coin lane. The actual toll charges vary greatly and are a function of where you entered the toll road. If you are going to Normandie from Paris, you were likely on A13. To avoid the toll station at Montes la Joile, you can take the D113 exit just before the toll booths and rejoin A13 farther to the west. You can save a few euros.

The toll roads in France are operated by a number of different companies, each accepting different forms of payment in addition to the toll tags. Some take A/E, some Visa/MC, you just cannot always be sure.

Posted by
6875 posts

The tolls between Paris and Caen are actually quite reasonable by French standards, about 15 euros total. Trying to avoid them is not worth the waste of time - except in case of a traffic jam, of course.

Posted by
9546 posts

You can always get an accurate cost preview of the tolls you will pay by looking at your itinerary on ViaMichelin.

So glad that your card worked, that is certainly a relief !