Please sign in to post.

Tipping tour guides

We have booked several private tours in France this fall and are wondering about tipping tour guides. Is it expected or is it more like in European restaurants where tipping is not necessarily expected, at least not like in the U.S.

Posted by
14529 posts

Hi,

The tours (bus or walking) I usually give at the end of the tour one Euro, right in the guide's hand, ie in France, Austria, Germany, unless I forget.

Posted by
1172 posts

Although not expected the way it is here in North America, if the guide was good, I always tip and tip what I would at home. It has always been very appreciated

Posted by
10207 posts

Is the guide the business owner, self-employed, or an employee? Is it a private tour or group tour?

I've never noticed tipping on group tours for Paris Walks or those given by Museum employees who are art history PhDs. The one-euro tip is generally at places where the guide makes it known tips are welcome, such as private chateaux where a groundskeeper takes people around. As for private guides, others will have to answer.

Posted by
4049 posts

Be bold: Ask the guide, discreetly, what the custom is. Then evaluate.

Posted by
2639 posts

no need to tip, you have paid for a guide that should be enough . If it wasn't then your tour price would be higher.
Nobody tips me for doing my job. Nobody in Europe is going to chase you down the street for not tipping.

Posted by
509 posts

We tipped our superb, private, D-Day all-day guide. Before the trip, I checked with a RS Forum contributor who had recommended the guide and was advised that they had tipped. That said, we certainly didn't feel compelled -- just grateful for a memorable day.

Posted by
2349 posts

Actually, Bets, I've seen tipping on most of the Paris Walks I've taken. It's quick and discreet while the customers are thanking the guide. I usually tip one or two euro, except for the one who lost half his pack in Montmartre and didn't seem to care. The guides do not act like they expect it, but are appreciative. Maybe they're just as appreciative of the thanks they get. I don't know, but I've tipped.

Posted by
10207 posts

Thanks Karen. I guess I just don't remember. I'm pretty sure we tipped the Overlord Tour guide in Normandy, though.

As for asking--you will never get an answer from a French guide because discussing money is considered very impolite. During a two-week trip in Turkey with a French organization, we asked the other participants, who were French, Swiss, Luxembourger, how much to tip the guide and bus driver. No way could we get anything more than "do as you like". An American guide might tell you, however.

Posted by
1625 posts

We too tip the Paris Walks and London Walks guides, they usually deliver the tour in such an entertaining way with so much passion I just always feel I got so much more than expected. 2 euros for each person I booked on the tour is average unless they are such a hoot I feel the urge to give more (Brian of London Walks comes to mind). I also tip on my Walks of Italy tours, because I usually connect with the guide, feel very included and taken care of beyond what is expected. (maybe my expectations are too low?)