Please sign in to post.

Tipping Tour Guides

Is there a rule of thumb for tipping tour guides in Paris? Is it based on a percentage of the tour cost or length of tour? Also, is there a difference for private vs group tour? I know this can by a taboo subject, but any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted by
3217 posts

I'm going to quote Marcus Bradshaw from the Czech Republic forum on this site:

Whereas the financial aspect of tipping the guide is undoubtedly appreciated, there is a deeper significance to the gesture as a way of acknowledging that the client has been well looked-after. It is a codified way of expressing gratitude, hence the word "gratuity" - originating from the Latin gratus - pleasing or thankful.

What a lovely thought! In France we tip wonderful guides 20 Euros for a full day tour (never taken a half day tour) and good guides get 10-15 Euros.

Posted by
13800 posts

I guess it depends on what kind of tour. Private tour? No. Paris Walks tour? Probably no. Free walking tour? 10€. Group tour? Not sure 🤔

Posted by
2466 posts

The guide depends on a picture for the people who wander off. The guide depends on the income to survive - normally he/she gets about 5 EU.

Posted by
13800 posts

"What about the bus driver?"

Mike, some multi-day tours strongly suggest tipping the guide and bus driver because the companies don't pay them well. On Rick Steves' tours all tips are included so no need to tip either unless you privately decide to.

On a day tour, agree with Chexbres - no tip to the bus driver.

Posted by
2942 posts

Thank you, Pam. I've found that even when tips are included there is still tipping at the end. I don't want to be seen as the tight wad.