Please sign in to post.

Three Days

My wife and I are arriving in Paris early the morning of Friday, January 27th and we are leaving the afternoon of the 30th. We are staying in the Saint-Germain-des-Pres area. We are looking for suggestions for dinner places, great cafes, bars, can't miss things to do. We only have a limited time and we don't want to cram too much in. We enjoy wandering around and finding adventures but a couple of suggestions is always appreciated.

Posted by
3122 posts

We loved the Latin Quarter area around Place Contrescarpe.

For a lovely dinner, recommend restaurant Le Volcan
http://restaurant-levolcan.fr/?lang=en

For a light meal or late night, Brasserie La Contrescarpe (not to be confused with cafe of same name) https://www.facebook.com/Brasserie-la-Contrescarpe-476066745888070/

We bought airport transportation (Paris Webservices) including a Museum Pass and a Seine River cruise. Having the Museum Pass was great because you get to skip the line. The Seine cruise was OK, but our boat was crammed with unmannerly folks from who kept getting out of their seats & making the boat unstable even though the guide kept telling them to stay seated.

The cruises leave from right near the Eiffel Tower, which affords a great photo angle of you with Eiffel Tower in background. However, visiting the Eiffel Tower itself is a complete zoo -- not recommended IMO.

We also enjoyed a walking tour of the Isle de la Cite with an English-speaking guide. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the organization; it was a business card displayed at the desk in our hotel. It may have been Paris Walks. You just show up at the meeting point and pay the guide cash on the spot.

Posted by
4157 posts

Be sure to check the weather. It will likely be cold, so pack/dress accordingly. If you need a warm hat, do not buy a cheap wool beret from a street vendor. Our son and his pre-teen daughters learned that. Those berets were so scratchy that they took them off within 10 minutes of purchase. Remember that sunrise will be about 08:30 and sunset will be at about 17:45 when you are there.

These are some wanderings that we did. They may seem a little odd compared to most.

Our first visit to the Eiffel Tower was a few years ago, early evening in about mid-October. We had no interest in going up in it, but rather just in seeing it close up. So we walked around underneath and gawked at the magnificent structure. There were very few people there. It was fascinating after dark. Perhaps it will not be crowded when you are there, too.

One day we took the bus down the Champs-Élysées toward the Arc de Triomphe. We had to get off earlier than anticipated. Why? This was why. It was a very moving experience and something rarely mentioned as a thing to do in Paris. Arrive early to see the traffic stopped and participants cross the street to the tomb. Then you can use the underground tunnel to cross and observe the ceremony.

One evening it was raining and we were far from our apartment when we were ready to go home. Rather than take the Metro back, we decided to splurge on a taxi. I felt like I was in a movie. Riding through the combination of the lights and the rain and the reflections they made was an atmospheric view of Paris that I will always remember.

Posted by
5 posts

Pierre Herme is a great stop for an afternoon macaron or dessert. Mariage Freres is a famous tea seller that has a storefront, restaurant, and tea room in the area; it's a nice place to relax for tea or pick up gifts for a tea-lover. As far as a must see: Notre Dame and Ste Chappelle are in walking distance on the Ile de la Cite with the Marche aux Fleurs in between. That would make for a nice morning or afternoon.

Posted by
6538 posts

Boat cruises also leave from the Pont Neuf, probably closer to where you're staying.

The Museum Pass is a good idea if you want to visit several museums in a couple of days. They have a two-day version. Compare its cost to the admission prices of the places you want to see. An added value is that you skip the ticket-buying line, which can be long at popular places like Louvre and Orsay.

I love the Eiffel Tower from below, don't miss it (you hardly can since it's visible from everywhere). I doubt that crowds will be an issue in late January, but one reason is how cold it will be at the top! For a comparable view, consider the enclosed Tour Montparnasse -- not as high, but the view includes the ET.