Please sign in to post.

The Louvre

Reservations are needed for the Louvre, but you can still expect a long queue to enter. Before you buy your ticket and make a reservation, be aware that certain sections of the Louvre are closed on certain days of the week. For example, the exhibit of French Impressionists is closed on Mondays.

The good news: my wife’s cane got us to the front of the line without even asking.. The bad news: our favorite exhibit was closed today. But we still enjoyed ourselves. C’est la vie.

Posted by
10320 posts

I didn't think there were any Impressionists in the Louvre. The most recent works date to just before the Impressionists.

The good news is that if you want to see them and other post-1870s works, you'll find them in the Musée d'Orsay, L'Orangerie Museum, and the Marmottan Museum, all three in Paris.

Posted by
35 posts

You are correct., of course. We were referring to Camille Corot, a realist, but a forerunner of Impressionism. And we already went to Musee D’Orsay and L’Orangerie. Thank you.

Posted by
10320 posts

Of course. We’re big Corot fans, too. There are many in his different styles and subjects. How disappointing.

Posted by
14191 posts

There actually are some early Impressionists...some Monets, some Degas and others in Room 903 in the Sully Wing. I was shocked when I stumbled across them looking for something else, lol.

Sorry you missed your favorites! For next time, here is a list of room closure days which may or may not be accurate, lol.

https://www.louvre.fr/en/visit/list-of-available-galleries

Editing to correct the Room # to 903. I was so surprised that I took a picture of the room # so I could find my way back..easier than leaving bread crumbs, lol. I took pictures of 2 Monets, a Cezanne and a Degas. There were of course, more in the room but those were interesting to me that year, lol.

Posted by
35 posts

Good to know. Hoping there is a next time…but first must come Portugal for the first time, then back to Provence, Italy, and Greece.