Please sign in to post.

Thank you!

I just want to thank everyone who helped me plan the France portion of our Europe trip. This part was the most complicated (we travelled around a lot, so there were more details to work out) and you all just really helped me! We got home yesterday, and the trip exceeded my expectations! We had one hiccup and that was with the car rental. I had read to be aware of the surcharge, but I thought that was only if you use the car for multiple countries (pick it up in one country, drop it off in another). We had reserved a car through Enterprise to drive from Caen to Bordeaux, because my husband's work can get a discount (even for personal use). Well, when we got to Enterprise in Caen, they added $200 for the surcharge, then they added another $200, because all of a sudden, we had a 250 km per day limit (I knew it was not unlimited, but I swear the website said 500 km limit, so I didn't think the overage would be much money). That was putting the car rental cost well over $700! So, we went next door to Avis, and they gave us their last car. The rental came with unlimited miles. We still had to pay that surcharge, and the cost only about $100 cheaper than Enterprise... but we drove in style in a Mercedes! (we had a basic compact car with Enterprise). I hope I never pay that much for a rental again (it was 2 months of payments on my little Ford Fiesta-haha)

Because of the car rental debacle, we only had enough time to see the Bayeaux tapestry and the American cemetery at Normandy. I'm a little disappointed, but both those sights were so amazing that it's hard for me to be too sad. Plus, it will give us an excuse to go back (and possibly go on a tour rather than try to do it ourselves).

Anyway, thanks again! I am proud of how well we did for our first trip to France, and I have this forum to thank!

Posted by
8422 posts

Thanks for reporting back. Just to clarify, the surcharge was because it was a one way rental, is that correct?

Posted by
595 posts

If you'd be willing to write up your adventures, there's a Trip Report section of this forum and I for one would enjoy hearing all about it!

Posted by
114 posts

I'm assuming so. When I looked into the cost of reserving, I guess I missed the detail of a one-way surcharge. I just saw that they charge for crossing borders. Enterprise didn't add it into the cost estimate, so I took the rental price at face value (now I know that the local company will charge the surcharge and the national website won't list it.).

Posted by
114 posts

Marty- I may do that! It was an epic adventure for sure-- three countries (England, France, Spain), 21 days! We saw so much!

Posted by
6505 posts

I always rent from Avis and ensure it’s unlimited miles. Because of the way we plan our trips, we always return the car to the pick-up location as it cuts down on fees. We seldom pay more than $350 for a 2.5 week rental. Continue traveling.

Posted by
8035 posts

We have not ever paid one way drop charges (the car rental fairy blessed us in a cross border drop from Amsterdam to Paris because they had a Paris car that needed to go back to Paris and so they didn't charge us). But we have also picked up say in Rome and dropped in. Florence or in Paris CDG and dropped at Orly without paying surcharges. Sounds like they have ramped up this way to hose customers -- the business model of the car rental industry.

Posted by
114 posts

yep-- we feel like we were scammed... but I also made mistakes in not researching it enough. We've always had good experiences with Enterprise (more times than not, we get a free upgrade ,so we always reserve the cheapest but often get bigger cars), but this is the first time we've rented internationally. Now we know!

Posted by
6487 posts

Like Janet, I've never had a dropoff charge within the same country. Maybe they're Americanizing their business model -- if so, too bad. Next time, consider renting through Auto Europe for a good selection and no surprises. They're very easy to work with.

Posted by
135 posts

I concur with Dick about Auto Europe. We've used them multiple times always dropping off in a different city and we have never had a surcharge. Last year we used Hertz in Italy, picking up Orvieto and dropping off in Chiusi - no surcharge so don't think it's because Enterprise is an American company.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to check on our rental for September and make sure I've read all the fine print. I'd hate to get lulled into a false sense of security because we've had such good experiences in the past. Thanks for sharing and helping others learn.

Posted by
114 posts

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely be looking into AutoEurope next time!

Posted by
2916 posts

we had a 250 km per day limit

I guess I'm so used to unlimited mileage in France that I didn't realize that some companies have mileage limits.
And I concur with the advice about Auto Europe. They spell out in advance exactly what's included and what's not.