Please sign in to post.

TGV travel in France

Can we bring large luggages up the TGV trains? I read online that we would need to pay per large luggage. Is there any check in required? Have anyone tried the advance luggage delivery?

Posted by
888 posts

Were you on the actual train company's website when you read that? The ones I've been on had large luggage racks near the ends/entrances to each car for larger bags and overheads for smaller stuff.

Posted by
16893 posts

A large suitcase is fine for you to bring onto the TGV and does not require payment or check-in. Bags must have luggage tags with your name and address. A key reason to pack light is that you're the one who has to handle your gear in train stations and a variety of other situations during your trip. Stair-free hotel entrances, for instance, cannot be guaranteed. See also: https://www.sncf.com/en/passenger-offer/travel-by-train/tgv/your-tgv-travel.

The checked-bag service takes at least a day, with delivery handled by truck, not sent on the fast train with you.

Posted by
44 posts

NB: if you're taking the new-ish and cheaper OuiGo hi-speed trains, there is a fee required for large--or really, even medium-sized--luggage. (See this link: https://www.eurosender.com/en/train/tgv-ouigo-baggage-allowance)

As I understand it, OuiGo isn't exactly the same thing as TGV, but is basically the SCNF's own little budget line that runs on the same tracks, and tickets are available on the same SNCF site. That may be what's causing the confusion.

Posted by
85 posts

Trust me, please. You do NOT want to take "large luggages" on trains. I took a 25-inch (which is not so large) spinner to Europe once and literally FELL out of a train, three feet down to the platform, in Warsaw. As I was attempting to alight from the carriage the suitcase dragged me out of the train. How I didn't break my arms is a mystery.

To answer your question, fairly large bags can fit on the luggage racks at the end of each TGV carriage. But, you don't want to hassle with large suitcases around Europe. Please believe me.

Posted by
2189 posts

We were on a TGV from Aix-en-Provence to Paris and our seats were upstairs. Getting our21” up and down the stairs was tough. When it comes time to get off, everyone is in a hurry and I don’t ever remember a staff member there to help. Sometimes fellow travelers will help, if only to get you out of the way. They seem to follow Rick’s philosophy- you bring it, you carry it.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for all the advice. I am booked on the TGV Inoui trains and I might have confused with OUIGO... ok I shall pack light and assume that I can go up the train with my luggage :).

Posted by
9608 posts

Yes, the Ouigo trains have fees for luggage over a certain size, smaller seats, and other restrictions. They are cheaper, but there’s a reason. However, they are still TGV trains in the sense that they operate with the fast-train technology and cover the distance in the same fast time.

Posted by
353 posts

Dianne W. has given you very good advice. It is dangerous to try to wrestle large suitcases across the gap into the train and then up the 3 very steep steps. I foolishly tried it last summer and my shoulder has never been the same. Pack light!