Please sign in to post.

TGV tickets

Wondering if it is necessary to book tickets for the TGV from Paris to Reims and from Aix en provence to Paris in advance or can we just show up? And the same question for the train from Paris to Chartres for the day and back? Thanks for any advice, experiences or suggestions. We keep on travelin'!

Posted by
6913 posts

Hi!
For Aix to Paris: definitely buy in advance, as soon as you know your dates (bookings open 4 months ahead, roughly). It will be cheaper, and the trains do fill up in some busy periods.

For Paris to Reims: buying in advance is highly recommended for cost reasons but a bit less critical, as trains don't fill up as often.

For Paris to Chartres: this is a local train which you cannot book. You can buy a ticket online (I think, but might have changed with the new SNCF train app in Feb) or at a machine at Montparnasse station in Paris. Seating is not assigned, but you will be going against the main flow so it will be fine.

Posted by
1439 posts

We bought TGV train tickets online in advance for a trip in 2018. The TGV tix were €25 each when bought about 90 days in advance. They were more than €120 each on the day of travel. Buying them in advance was a simple way to save €380.

Posted by
85 posts

I always buy tickets in advance, 90 days in France. You could save even more by purchasing a "Carte Advantage" discount card on the SNCF website or app. I believe there's a sale currently on the cards, for a short time only. They're good for a year, and provide a 30% discount on all tickets.