Please sign in to post.
Posted by
32519 posts

The second map above is easy to use and comprehensive - but a caution: it is a bit too comprehensive. There are stations shown which have very infrequent or no service by TGV. I'm surprised to see stations east of Nice which don't currently have TGV service but there is frequent TER service.

The same is true of some stations in Normandy and Nord Pas de Calais.

When in doubt go to a reputable website like the Bahn, put in your travel points and the website will tell you the class of train operating that route.

Posted by
8889 posts

Don't forget TGV are not the only trains in France. They are just the fastest ones and the ones that are famous outside the country. There are services which connect to the TGV's to serve all the thousands (literally) of other smaller places in France which don't have TGV's stopping there.

Posted by
10344 posts

These trains will travel between 150 mph (the slow ones) to 200+ mph (the fastest ones).
It's different over there.
For example, Reims used to be a long day trip in the old days. Now it's a 45 minute ride from Paris, and I'll be on that bullet train in a couple of months.

Posted by
16893 posts

A rail map gives you a good overview and ideas of what's possible, but only the actual train schedule will answer the question of where to change trains and what the schedule options are to your destination. Rome2Rio is giving you the useful option of searching other types of transportation at the same time, including a few regional or private rail ways that don't show on the national web sites or Germany's fairly comprehensive European train schedules. Once you find a route on Rome2Rio, it helps you connect through to the transport company to confirm specifics for your travel date and time.

Posted by
4137 posts

Kent , Since you are going to Reims , make sure to stop at La Musee de la Reddition . Just the other side of the rail tracks , a red brick school building , the site of the Nazi capitulation on 7 May 1945 . Small but powerful place , the room of the signing is intact as it was that day . It's similar to the Churchill War Rooms , but not as large . Also on display is an original Norden Bombsight , a fascinating bit of technology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norden_bombsight

Posted by
10344 posts

Steven, thanks, it's on my must-see list in Reims.
But I didn't know about the original Norden Bombsight.
I read about it a few weeks ago in Rick's book--fascinating.
I might have to taste some Champagne, too--already got that set up!