Please sign in to post.

Testing

From what I read, we don't need to test prior to going to France (in less than 3 weeks). For some reason, I thought we did. Anyway, DH wants to go get a test beforehand anyway.

I see the value in that. What if rules change immediately prior to departure? Or a surprise asymptomatic positive (even though we are vaccinated, of course)? Definitely better to find out before we leave the country, I think.

Anybody taking this route? Or are we wasting our money?

Posted by
104 posts

I don't think it's a waste. We traveled to France this summer - and at least when we went, we did not need to test before-hand (as long as we were all vaccinated, which we were). To be sure we weren't asymptomatic break-through positives, my husband and I each did an at-home rapid test before we left for two reasons: (1) to be sure we weren't bringing Covid with us and furthering the spread, and (2) we figured if we were positive, we'd rather know before we left so as not to get stuck overseas and needing to quarantine. It sounds like you're thinking of taking this a step further and getting a documented test. If I were going again soon I might do the same (in case, as you say, rules change last minute). Get the test, and then you'll have the reassurance that you've done everything you can to enjoy your vacation without furthering the spread of Covid. France is doing a good job of checking for vaccination status in public places - you'll likely feel safer there than at home.

Posted by
8423 posts

Andrea, I don't know about Canada, but here in my US city, you can buy home test kits at local pharmacies (last I saw were US$30 for kit of two) or order online. Yeah, I've been taking these non-official self-tests about once a month unrelated to travel, just to know and protect my family and friends. If you can, why not? More confidence is good.

Posted by
6 posts

It is not currently required and if you are vaccinated I do not see it changing in the near future. We just returned and we did receive a test prior to leaving the U.S. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by
3688 posts

I don't think it's a waste. I am leaving later today and I took a documented Covid test on Friday. I don't need one for the trip but I took it for the two reasons Heather stated. If my test had come back positive, I would have canceled my trip.

Posted by
1543 posts

We decided to go for an antigen test, even though its not required. Even though I felt fine, I was quite nervous waiting for my results! We are good to go!