Please sign in to post.

Teacher/student discounts

Does anyone know if museums offer free or discounted admission to teachers/students in France? I'm traveling in June and wondered about this.

Posted by
20094 posts

For the Louvre their website says:

For teachers:
Teachers are admitted free to the museum’s permanent collections (excluding exhibitions in the Hall Napoléon) on presentation of a valid “Pass Education” card.

So the question is how do you get a "Pass Education" card. Looks like you need to be a teacher in France.

Posted by
1336 posts

Yes, you need to be a teacher in France. When I taught in France I had one. It was a simple orange card.

Posted by
23268 posts

Duplicate question with more responses.

Posted by
350 posts

I teach grade school in Ontario and always take my Ontario College of teacher card with me when I travel. It varies sometimes I get in free even at places that do not advertise a teacher discount. Other places have said that three have a teacher discount for European teachers have offered me student pricing. I figure it does not hurt to ask but never count on the discount

Posted by
8059 posts

FWIW You can get an annual membership in the Louvre for 35 Euro (well a few years ago when I did it) This gives you line priority, and you can bring a guest on Weds or Fri evenings. Your teaching ID from the US is sufficient for this.

Posted by
2466 posts

If the students are under the age of 26, they can benefit from free entry, no matter which country they originate from. Just an ID is necessary to confirm age.

Posted by
81 posts

From what I have read the student needs to be from the EU to gain student entry:

Free admission
Free admission without queuing for a ticket (valid ID or proof of entitlement required):
- visitors under the age of 18
- 18-25 year-old residents of the European Economic Area (EU, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein)
- teachers of art, art history, and the applied arts
- holders of a valid "Pass Education" card (primary and secondary school teachers in French public schools and private schools receiving government subsidies)
- artists affiliated to the Maison des Artistes (in France) or the AIAP (Association Internationale des Arts Plastiques)
- holders of a valid ICOM or ICOMOS card
- job seekers and people on income support, on presentation of proof of entitlement (dated within the last year or indicating a period of validity)
- visitors with disabilities and the person accompanying them
- holders of membership cards (permanent collections only)

Posted by
3698 posts

The under 26 free entry is for European Economic Area residents but anyone under 18 is free.