Please sign in to post.

Taxis in Paris

My husband and I are looking forward to the RS Eastern France tour the end of May 2023. We are going to spend a couple of days in Paris before the tour begins in Reims. We plan to take a taxi from CDG to our Paris hotel. Do we need Euros for taxis or do they take a credit card?

Posted by
201 posts

They take credit cards. You can also tell the person at the taxi rank that you need a taxi that takes CCs to make sure. But generally, yes, they do take CCs.

Posted by
23267 posts

Depending on your hotel's location, that could be a fixed price. Generally yes for both Euro and CC but -- sometimes -- the credit card machine is broken. Always double check the acceptability of CCs.

Posted by
8049 posts

Fixed price if your destination is Paris; make sure that is what is on the meter when you leave the airport. Don't pay more than 53 to the right bank or 58 to the left. Show the driver your CC when you get in and get hs agreement to pay by card. they prefer cash so sometimes want to pretend the machine is broken.

Posted by
201 posts

I had booked a G7 taxi to return to CDG one trip and had asked the operator when I booked it if the driver would accept CCs. She assured me that yes they would. When we got in the taxi at 5:30 am the driver informed us that the CC machine was broken so we ended up having to stop at an ATM. Wasn't too happy about that, but there wasn't much we could do at that point. As pointed out, when getting a taxi at CDG into Paris I always tell the taxi rank coordinator that I need to pay by CC and verify it - and the price - when I get in the taxi and have never had an issue. Yet. Handy tip also - write the name and address of where you're going on an index card to hand to the driver.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the helpful tips. One question..., someone mentioned working with the "taxi rank coordinator". So do you not just flag down a taxi at CDG, or there is some taxi coordinator in the airport?

Posted by
2544 posts

Follow the signs (look for the "footprints") to the official taxi queues. Do not accept offers from anyone soliciting from within the terminals. At baggage claim, there are detailed taxi instructions, in English, explaining where you go and how much taxis cost.

Posted by
3 posts

This is all very helpful and I think I just about have it. Can you tell me approximately how much it would cost for a taxi from CDG to the Eiffel Tower area?

Posted by
3691 posts

Peggylou46, taxis between Paris and CDG are a flat rate and tipping is not required. I round up mainly because I hate coins and I usually have a 5€ note on me. The rate from CDG to where I stay is 53€ and I usually pay 55€? To the Left Bank, as mentioned above, the fare is 58€. Taxis are supposed to take credit cards but many times the machine is “broken.” IMO, 9 times out of 10, the driver is lying but why bother, just let them earn the tiny amount extra that they get to keep if you pay cash.