Please sign in to post.

summer cocktails

I just posted the same subject on the Spain board, and I’m curious about what the French drink come summer besides wine. I will be in Arles/Avignon/Nimes, then heading up to Dijon, and eventually Germany. Are there cocktails with lavender in them? St. Germain? Is asking for a margarita unheard of? I know there must be some fantastic cocktails to be had (and bars!). Thank you for your helpful information.

Posted by
6288 posts

For my last 3 trips, all I've been seeing at the outdoor tables is Aperol Spritz, and only one of the trips was to Italy! Come on people, get creative.

I can't say what is going on in France right now, but I'm told a French Apertif, Lillet, is in vogue. Some are doing it in a spritz.

Posted by
1162 posts

Provence primarily, but everywhere in France, pastis! Especially made with "51" or Ricard. Cold water added to pastis is a quintessentially French summer drink.

Posted by
1162 posts

Oops, I almost forgot. In our visit this May/June, a "gin/tonic" was popular everywhere we went (besides pastis).

Posted by
58 posts

@jules & judy, thanks for both of your replies. funny enough, i’m not a fan of either pastis or aperol spritzes! it’s been moons since i’ve had Lillet, so will definitely try that as a spritz

Posted by
10556 posts

Mixed cocktails are just beginning to catch on in France, just a lot of spritz and mojitos. Don't expect much; be happy when you stumble on a place that can do a cocktail well.
People drink more aperitifs, before a meal, a single liquor, often what is called a cooked wine. Every region has specialties. Pastis, Pineau de Charentes, Kir, Suze, Lillet, sweet vermouth, a glass of champagne.

Posted by
8462 posts

The mojito has been a reliable drink at cafes in Paris for the last 5 years and mostly excellent. I like them and have had only one genuinely terrible one in all that time.

Posted by
1098 posts

what the French drink come summer besides wine

Rosé wine
Pastis
Kir
Aperol Spritz

Posted by
104 posts

I love this thread!
We called last summer the summer of spritz after our August trip to London/Ghent/Paris/Florence.
The pubs in London had a summer menu with various spritz options - some with lavender if I remember correctly. I have a picture of my daughter enjoying one with a raspberry.
We loved the Hugo or St. Germain spritz that we found on the menu at the cafe near our hotel in Paris and were happy to find a cafe in Florence that offered something similar.
We loved it so much we enjoy them at home from time to time.
They are very refreshing on a warm summer afternoon or evening.
enjoy!
https://www.stgermainliqueur.com/us/en/cocktails/hugo-spritz/