Please sign in to post.

Suggestions please

Traveling with my sister to Paris in May - first time for her - would like to also see Giverny, Normandy and Lourdes. Total of 14 days - would prefer not to rent a car, but take the train….open to any suggestions for your ideas of best Itinerary…

Posted by
8447 posts

Do Normandy and Lourdes on the front end and then finish with a week in Paris and fly home from there. Without a car perhaps head to Bayeux on arrival (that means taxi or train to st.Lazare and then train to Bayeux. We stayed at a hotel called the Churchill which was across a parking lot from the Bayeux Tapestry (a must see) and an easy walk to the Cathedral. When we stayed there, they offered a van day trip to Mont St. Michel -- if they still do that, book as soon as you can. I don't think they limit it to hotel customers but it will fill up. We also did a tour of the Normandy American beaches with Overlord and the pick up spot was near this hotel. They also offer day long tours of the British/Canadian beaches if you are Canadian or British.

You can train to Lourdes and spend a night or two. Look at the Lourdes forum for ideas. I haven't done that so can't suggest hotels and such.

Then finish in Paris. You don't want to be rushing back to Paris the day before your flight home -- which wastes a prime vacation day. Use that first travel day to get to your furthest point -- either Lourdes or Bayeux.

Posted by
2428 posts

Agree.with the above schedule. We took train to Bayeau and I think it was about two hours. There is a taxi stand at the train station in Bayeau. We stayed at a lovely B&B Villa Aggarthi which was fantastic and one block from the tapestry and near great restaurants. also booked a private tour with HQCompany tours and was best money ever spent. It is owned by four guides who used to work for another tour company. Yanni was our guide and seemed to customize tour just for us. they do tours for up to eight people but we splurged and had a private tour. Picked up and dropped off at our bed and breakfasf. Good luck.