Please sign in to post.

Suggestions for Paris neighborhood in June 2019

Hi everybody,

It looks like I'll be in Paris for two days before heading to Bayonne to start the RS Basque tour. I am trying to be reasonably economical here and hotel prices for June are of course, very high. I'd like to be reasonably well-located (I'm completely comfortable with the metro, but I also prefer to walk as much as possible) and so not too far out. Any suggestions for favored places or neighborhoods outside of the "usual RS suspects" (Rue Cler, Le Marais, etc.)?

Thanks!
Caroline

Posted by
888 posts

We will be following in your footsteps as we are booked for the Basque tour in October. Arriving in Paris two days prior to our meet-up in Bayonne, we have booked rooms at the Hotel Odessa, located quite near the Gare Montparnasse, which will be our departure point to Bayonne via rail. This will be our first stay at Hotel Odessa. It appears to be "reasonable" in cost, size and location. Our upgraded room is 115 Euros/night. Expect higher rates in June.

Posted by
6713 posts

We stayed in an apartment near Gare Montparnasse and liked the neighborhood (Pernety metro). There are lots of hotels near the station. Another area I'd like to stay in would be east of Bastille in the 11th or 12th, especially around Place des Nations. I expect hotel prices in these areas would be less than closer to the center of things.

Others have recommended some lower-priced hotels in the Latin Quarter (the Diana comes to mind but there are others), maybe they'll weigh in.

Posted by
380 posts

I haven’t stayed at the Odessa but have looked into it. I often stay in Montparnasse and the Odessa is in a great location, although I’d request a higher floor as it overlooks a busy area full of cafes, which attract a young audience. I’m fond of the Hotel Raspail on Boulevard Raspail.
In the 5th I’d recommend Hotel du College de France, in addition to Diana (likely booked for June but doesn’t hurt to check).
I wouldn’t bother with an apartment for only 2 nights.

Posted by
1806 posts

Economical, well-located and just 2 nights? I'd just look at availability at one of the many Ibis hotels scattered around Paris - pick whichever neighborhood you prefer. Most of them have a/c (good to have in June if it turns out to be hot). Another bonus, last Ibis I stayed at I showed up early in the morning (7:00AM) thinking I would have them store my luggage and then go walk around until official check-in time, but they said I could purchase "early check in" on the spot for just 20 Euro - was totally worth it to get into the room, shower and take a quick nap after flying all night.