Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg recommendations for August 2016

We are in our 70's and planning to take the RS Tour of Eastern France. They suggest going to Strasbourg pre-trip. Any recommended hotels, restaurants and things to do besides see the cathedral and take a canal cruise. We plan on spending 2-3 nights and then taking the TGV to Reims where the tour starts.

Posted by
32213 posts

Sandy,

When you sign up for your tour, I believe you'll have a $100 credit in the travel store. I'd suggest buying a copy of the RS France guidebook, as that will have lots of suggestions for hotels, restaurants and activities in Strasbourg. In order to recommend hotels, it would help to have some idea of the price range you'd prefer and the "comfort level".

Posted by
3247 posts

We spent two nights in Strasbourg in October and I wish we had spent more time there. We took the "Pearls of Alsace" tour offered by Ophorus, but your RS tour will probably cover most of those sights. We loved the Hotel Hannong - a beautiful and centrally located hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. Our dinner at Le Tire-Bouchon (the corkscrew) was one of the highlights of our trip. In August, I would suggest that you book ahead for Tire-Bouchon. We loved walking around the city, but otherwise I can't give you any recommendations beyond what you already know.

Posted by
111 posts

Highly recommend the Regent Petite France in Strasbourg. We stayed there two nights in September and everything was first class. It's right on the canal in the Old Town with many fine restaurants in close proximity.
http://www.regent-petite-france.com/en/
Larry

Posted by
15585 posts

I stayed at the Mercure Centre and was most satisfied. It's modern, very comfortable, great staff, excellent breakfast spread with rooftop outdoor seating. It's close to the trams and walking distance to most sights. The Musee Alsacien was very interesting, as was the Church of St. Pierre le Jeune. Both had extensive explanations in English. It joined a free city walk that began near the cathedral. The guide was charming, informative and very interesting. The only disappointment for me was taking the canal cruise in the evening. During the day the boats are open, but in the evening you are under a see-through roof, so the views are not as good and I couldn't take any photos.

Posted by
246 posts

The Musee alsacien has an outstanding collection of folk art if you have a taste for that sort of thing. It is in the RS guidebook.

Posted by
11294 posts

I'll add another recommendation for the Museum of Alsatian Life - my favorite thing in Strasbourg by far.