Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg france

I want to fly to Strasbourg and stay for 2 weeks. But rent a car and drive to the Alsace region to see all the little towns. How difficult is it to drive around there? Also want to drive to Germany to see the Neushwanstein Castle. How hard would that be?

Posted by
19659 posts

No harder than driving anywhere else. Know the rules of the road, street signs, etc. Obey speed limits, since they use robocams for enforcement and you won't know you got a violation until your credit card gets dinged by the car rental company, and that is just the service charge for providing your home address to the authorities so they know where to send the ticket.

Posted by
6 posts

Driving from Strasbourg to Fussen Germany, is it a difficult drive and entering Germany? How is that?

Posted by
19659 posts

You drive across a bridge over the Rhine and keep going. :-)
You will notice that suddenly, all the signs are in German and not in French.

Posted by
1156 posts

Strasbourg is a lovely area, and getting around to the surrounding towns is quite easy with a car. You can take a train to Colmar, and a few of the others, but for most, a car is best. No worries there. The trip to the Castle will take you a little over three hours drive. That would be more of an over night trip imo. .

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much! That makes me feel better! Can you use gps and will it be in english?

Posted by
6 posts

Also looking for a hotel or airbnb. I want to be right in the middle of all the beautiful houses on the river. What area works that be?

Posted by
19659 posts

I want to be right in the middle of all the beautiful houses on the river.

This flies in the face of having a car and would be a nightmare. If you want to stay in this area, you should go and rent a car only the days you want to travel outside of Strasbourg.

Posted by
10179 posts

A car is helpful in that area, but I wouldn’t choose to stay in the middle of Strasbourg with a car. We were just in that area this spring. We stayed one night in Strasbourg so we could see it (we didn’t have more time than that) and then stayed in Colmar and got a car for our time there so we could visit the villages. With 2 weeks you could spend 2 nights in Strasbourg and the rest of the time somewhere easier to drive in and out of. Driving in France and Germany is easy, but I wouldn’t consider a trip to Neuschwanstein a day trip. If you rent a car in Strasbourg as you are leaving there you could drive to Germany and spend a night or two in Fussen to see Neuschwanstein, then drive back to France and stay somewhere smaller to explore the Alsace. Drive back to Strasbourg for your return flight home. You do not want to rent a car in one country and return it in another, as it’s expensive to do so.

Posted by
6178 posts

If you want to see Neuschwanstein, consider buying an open jaw ticket and fly home from Munich.

Also, Strasbourg has a tiny airport so if you are looking for flights to Strasbourg your options will be very limited, it's probably easier to fly to Frankfurt and take the bus or train to Strasbourg.

Posted by
4324 posts

and let's be honest, most flights to France go to CDG. and it's not hard to catch a TGV from Paris to Strasbourg, I did it as a day trip and it worked out fine.

Posted by
79 posts

The Regent Petite France hotel in Strasbourg is right on the main canal and well worth the price.