Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg Christmas market

Is there a good time, better time to come to Strasbourg for the Christmas market? We will be leaving Paris on December 20 to come home and have a couple of weeks before that that we can schedule.

Posted by
4746 posts

I would avoid the weekends. And book lodging asap, as when I was planning my trip precovid, many of the options I looked at were fully booked by June.
Explore the markets by day for serious shopping, but stay for the beautiful lights in the evening. The markets do get more crowded as folks get off work.
The Strasbourg markets were some of the most magical markets I have visited, and the waves of beautiful lights and decorations were unrivaled.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
4113 posts

I will add something from my trip in Dec 2022 that I didn’t know - and don’t know if it is true every year or not. The stalls and food vendors all closed at 8:00 in Strasbourg (I wasn’t in Colmar that late). I tried to buy a pretzel at 8:05 and even though they had them and hadn’t closed the windows, they couldn’t sell me one. About that time, the police strolled past, making sure everyone was complying. I support quiet nights - was just interesting. :) But it gets dark early so there is plenty of time to enjoy the lights at night.

Posted by
10227 posts

Hi Andrea, I’m going to be in Strasbourg for 4 nights in December for Christmas markets and more both there and the surrounding area. Once my friend and I decided early last week to go on this 2 week trip and figured out where we were going I booked lodging right away. The pickings were slim and the prices are higher than they were on my early Spring trip last year. I suggest you book asap. This is the only location that I got an apartment, which is located close to the train station. We want a washer and I wanted the convenience of not only traveling to Colmar and wherever else by train, but also a short walk to the apartment with our luggage in case we have bad weather. That area is an easy walk into the old town. I don’t know how many people you will be, but if 2 or 3 this place could work for you if the dates are available. I am arriving on 12/11 and departing on the 15th. If interested send me a PM.

Posted by
9590 posts

In addition to Pat's very sage advice to avoid the weekends, I would also suggest that you go as early in your trip as possible (as long as it's not a weekend). Things just get crazier and crazier the further into the month you get.

It's an absolutely beautiful and special time. Have a wonderful trip !

Posted by
267 posts

Have a hotel booked for December 10-14. Thank you for the other advice.

Posted by
4746 posts

Enjoy a very magical trip. Safe travels!

Posted by
267 posts

I’m afraid the website for the clock says

There is no possibility of prior reservation.
Tickets must be purchased on the day of your visit only.