Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg Christmas Market 2019

Before a RS Munich, Salzberg and Vienna tour I’m thinking about traveling to Strasbourg for a couple of days to see the Christmas market. Arriving at Frankfurt airport and planning on either bus or train to Strasbourg. I’ve read in some posts that the historic center of Strasbourg is blocked off to vehicles during this Christmas market season. Does this mean that it is a long walk from train station to city center and hotels with my carry on luggage? Meaning I can’t take a taxi. Appreciate any advice and recommendations on logistics and also hotels.

Posted by
8889 posts

Susan, The historic centre is blocked off to traffic at all times, during the Christams market they just enforce this stricter.
When you read "blocked off to traffic" or "pedestrians only" about a European city, they are not talking about Public Transport, that is always allowed.
Strasbourg has trams which take you from the station to the city centre.

See this map of Strasbourg city centre: https://www.mystrasbourg.com/plan_strasbourg.jpg
The station is on the left ("GARE SNCF"), "CATHEDRALE" in the centre. Red lines are tram routes (red dots are stops). The orange streets are pedestrian only at all times of year.

Posted by
2469 posts

Susan,
Which MSV tour are you signed up for? I'm going on the Dec. 1 - 8 tour. I'm flying into Munich on 11/29, 2 days early to explore Munich. Very excited! I looked into going to Colmar before the tour but I didn't have enough vacation days for Colmar. I understand Strasbourg is lovely at Christmas, too.
Enjoy!

Posted by
2399 posts

The town center is not far from the train station . . . but it is not close! . Take the light rail