Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg and environs suggestions December 2023

Hello fellow travelers! We are headed to Strasbourg for 4 nights/5 days (from Bordeaux) this December to see the Christmas markets. We plan to spend a full day or two in Strasbourg with, maybe an afternoon in Colmar (I see there is easy access by train from Strasbourg.) Is a half day in Colmar plenty of time? We were also thinking of taking a daytrip to Basel and/or a charming town across the border in Germany. Any suggestions for a quaint German town for a day trip from Strasbourg? Are we asking too much to take 2 separate days to daytrip to Basel and a German village? We will not have a car and will be relying on trains, etc.

Posted by
4750 posts

Basel has two main Xmas markets, but are small. The markets in Colmar and Strasbourg , ( especially the latter), are much grander .
For German markets, I'd go to Stuttgart, (two hours by train.?) where they decorate the roofs of the vendor huts in elaborate manners, spend the night, and go to the very magical , Middle Ages Esslingen markets , which are so unique! Esslingen is a 15-20 minute S- bahn ride from Stuttgart. I've attached my 2019 Trip Report.
Have a very special trip!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/christmas-markets-switzerland-france-germany-2019

Posted by
118 posts

If you are, or can plan to be, in Colmar on a weekend, you can take a navette (mini-bus) to the small villages of Eguisheim, Riquewihr and Kayserberg. They run in a circuitous route all day. Each village either has their own Christmas market or are wonderfully decorated for the holidays.

That way, you can see charming small villages without a long train ride...unless that’s what you’d like, of course.

Posted by
207 posts

Thanks for the info HappyToBeHere. Do you know if the navette runs Friday-Sunday? Or just Saturday-Sunday? We will be there from Tuesday through Saturday so would be fun to do if it runs on a Friday.

Posted by
207 posts

Thank you Pat for the really thorough trip report link! Wow! What a magical trip you had.

Posted by
4750 posts

Keikerman, I'm jealous that you're going, hopefully I will return in the next few years. Enjoy!

Posted by
1556 posts

Unless you arrive very early on your first day, you only have 3 full days in Strasbourg. One day in Strasbourg, maybe two if you want to see the museums and such?

I've not visited the Christmas markets but I'd imagine all the main villages around Alsace and in the Black Forest will be nicely decorated. Gengenbach, just across the border, is understandably very popular . Wissembourg, just north of Strasbourg and off most people's Alsace itinerary, is a lovely little place.

Re the navette and running times. If you set off for Colmar early enough, and the navette schedule does not work for you, there is a regular bus service to Riquewihr and Ribeauville. That should more than take up your time.

Posted by
2413 posts

Gengenbach in Germany is an easy daytrip from Strasbourg. World’s largest advent calender, amazing Narren Museum

Posted by
13955 posts

While I've not been to the Christmas Market in Colmar I'd probably plan to spend a full day there if you are interested in museums and sights in addition to the Christmas stalls. Their museum is quite good and I enjoyed doing the DIY walk from the Tourist Information office around the old city center. You can stop there and pick up a map or try to follow it from their online map (or download it at home). Zoom in to see the purple line which is the walking route. If you have a smartphone and data, each stop has a QR code where you can get more information on it.

https://reservation.tourisme-colmar.com/medias/documents/documentation/documentation-PLANCOLMAR-UK.pdf

I was there in April 2022 and also did the little tourist train because I was tired and wanted to sit for a few minutes, lol. I did not think it was worthwhile as most of the interesting things are in the pedestrian only areas and the train doesn't go there.

Posted by
207 posts

Thanks, Stephen, for the suggestion of Gengenbach! We will definitely be heading there during our visit as it looks exactly like the type of town, with the types of activities, we are looking for during our stay. Since we arrive on a Tues afternoon and leave on a Saturday around Noon, we will have plenty of time to explore Strasbourg. Food, markets and general Christmas merriment is what we are looking for during our petit séjour.