Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg

Three days in Strasbourg France. What is highest on list.
Love historical sites

Posted by
11052 posts

Cathedral
Canal boat ride
Dining on Alsatian cuisine
If you are not continuing your trip in a quaint Alsatian village, on the wine road, then rent a car and spend a day doing that.

Posted by
776 posts

Strasbourg has such a long history of being between two points . . .two examples..., Catholicism and Protestantism, France and Germany that you would do yourself a great service by reading up on this city with a complicated history and working out what you choose of all this richness. Historically of great interest to me was the German area built after the Franco-Prussian war in Gründerzeit architecture which because of the destruction of WWII in Germany no longer exists there. If you love historical sites, this is one that is unique and has been declared a World Heritage site.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks much, spending week on French waterways barge trip. Four couples, much wine and fine dining. Our second one, but first in this region of France.

Posted by
15560 posts

There's a very good folk museum. Day trip by train to Colmar.

Posted by
5503 posts

On my first trip to France, we spent four days in Alsace, one night in Colmar and three nights in Eguisheim. Colmar is bigger and more central and we did enjoy the afternoon we were there. Equisheim is ADORABLE, absolutely amazing as well as some of the other small towns in Alsace (Ribeauvillé, riquewihr, Kayserburg) We rented a car and visited wineries and the small towns. They were all like being in a fairytale.
I spent about 3/4 of a day in Strasbourg as part of a river cruise. The cathedral is an absolute, must do. I also enjoyed walking around the petit venice area. I'm so glad I got to go to Strasbourg for the cathedral, but to be honest I loved the smaller Alsace towns so much more so I would echo the opinion to rent a car and go to the small towns, but know that Strasbourg is at the very north of the region.

Posted by
12172 posts

I like Strasbourg and Colmar but you shouldn't visit the area without stopping at one or two of the beautiful little wine villages between the two. For that, you either need a bus tour or a rental car, some say bike but that really works when you have a lazy day to kill and don't want to get far. I also really liked the Castle Haut-Koenigsbourg.

Posted by
7977 posts

We did an afternoon boat trip on the Rhine not far from there; this is a great stretch for beauty, castles, vineyards etc. We also visited Colmar and Riquewihr from Strasbourg.

Posted by
107 posts

1) the Cathedral (this is mandatory)
2) day trip to Haut Konegisburg (and I can't imagine that I actually spelled that correctly, but I'm too lazy to look it up). This is an altogether delightful castle with wonderful grounds to hike.
3) day trip Colmar (I love this little place)