Please sign in to post.

Stopover recommendation

We are driving from Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland to Massangis, France (Northern Burgundy near Vezelay) and we are looking for a 1 night stopover to break up the long drive. I'd like to find something about 2:30 hours, give or take, from Lauterbrunnen.

I'm looking for a quaint little French village to spend the afternoon and evening. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Posted by
3122 posts

To clarify, are you talking about Avallon in Burgundy? I entered "Avalon" on a map and got a town nearer to Grenoble. It would also help if you would tell us the route you plan to take.

Posted by
1914 posts

Sorry! I updated the post to reflex our destination of Massangis near Vezelay.

We would like our stopover to be in France since we will have already spent a week in Switzerland.

I would love to find a medieval village. I'm considering Arbois or Dole? But, I'd love ideas if anyone has some.

Posted by
6889 posts

Montbéliard is nice enough for a couple of hours, but not really on the way.
Arbois would be a very good choice, it is a cute small town. I have never been to Dole but I hear the old town is cute.
Arc-et-Senans also springs to mind, the salt works there make for a very interesting visit (you can even stay there!) and the food at Relais d'Arc et Senans is very good.

Posted by
2026 posts

The Carpe Diem B&B in Massangis was probably the nicest place we’ve ever stayed in over many years of travel. Beautiful room and friendly hosts, convenient for driving to many area sights. You might check it out. Safe travels

Posted by
10219 posts

Denny, I would bet my life that they will be staying there. We stayed there at Susan & Monte’s insistence and loved it. They were also so helpful when we had a car issue. I recommend it.

Posted by
1914 posts

Hi Denny, Andrea is correct! Carpe Diem is our favorite B & B of all time so we are sneaking in another visit (our 3rd) before they sell at the end of the year. At least that is what Patrick tells me their plans are.

Thank you balso and MaryPat for your ideas. I'll check them out.

Posted by
10219 posts

They’re selling at the end of the year? I wish I could figure out a way to sneak in a night there. We are going from Colmar to Lyon in early April by train. Hmmm…I’ll have to think about this.

Posted by
1549 posts

I once spent a week in the vicinity of Beaune (I presume you've visited Beaune from Massangis?). I stayed at the bottom of the hill leading up to Châteauneuf, a charming little place but fairly close to your final destination.

Besançon would be my choice if you had a whole day, otherwise Dole is a good old spot to spend a few hours and have a bite to eat.

Posted by
10219 posts

Thanks a lot Susan (sarcasm font), now I’m trying to figure out how to spend a night there. We are going to have a rental car in Colmar. If we don’t turn it in as planned we could drive to Massangis, spend a night, then drive to Lyon. The question is, is it worth going out of the way for one night? I’ll check to see if they have a vacancy the night we could potentially do this.