Please sign in to post.

Speeding Ticket in France

Okay we are willing to pay. Let's agree on that. It took almost 2 months for the ticket to arrive to us.

Are the fines increased if you do not pay in a timely manner? That is what we want to know. And if it is increased for this 2 month time period for non payment what can we do about fighting this. My husband got up at 4:30 am California time to try to call them to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Posted by
274 posts

Well, I haven't had the opportunity to pay a speeding ticket in France yet. But I would suggest you pay the fine and, if any more money is owed for being late, decide at that time if you would wish to pay or contest it.

If the French authorities are interested in your payment, I suspect they would let you know.

Posted by
5697 posts

We got one in the first hour of driving in France -- when the ticket arrived, it specified that the fine was €xx until one date, €yy until a second date. First date DID include enough time for mail delivery to the U.S. , and the ticket DID give instructions for paying by credit card so it was easy to make the payment by the first due date.

Posted by
51 posts

We received a speeding ticket in Germany several years ago. They would not accept a credit card payment. Only wired money! To do that, our bank of course adds another huge fee, and a penalty for the exchange rate. SO, we used a company called Transferwise (found via google). Very easy. Much less expensive overall due to fewer fees. Just wanted to share in case France requires the same.

Posted by
2916 posts

We got one in the first hour of driving in France -- when the ticket arrived, it specified that the fine was €xx until one date, €yy until a second date. First date DID include enough time for mail delivery to the U.S.

I'd be curious to know how soon after the speeding date the ticket arrived. Based on a charge from the rental agency covering our trip in late April, early May, I'm expecting a ticket in the mail at some point, and I'm wondering if they'll start the timing for the increased charge around the time they mail the ticket. I'd pay it now to avoid any increase, but I obviously can't until I get the ticket.

Posted by
5697 posts

Sorry, I can't recall the time between the Hertz notice and the receipt of the French ticket -- I just remember that there was still time to pay it at the lowest rate when the ticket arrived in the mail. (But not a LOT of time.)