Please sign in to post.

Southern France - Easter week, 2025

Hello - As a teacher, I have my vacation dates firmly fixed. I’m considering a quick 7 night spring trip to France. It seems like the cheapest flights from NYC to France are arriving in Paris. It also seems like the best chance for warm weather would be in the south of France. I’ve always been interested in seeing Marseille, so I’m thinking about landing in Paris and then hopping a train south for 3 or 4 nights before returning to Paris for the remainder of my time. It looks like the train is about 4 hours.

For those of you well versed in French travels, does this sound accurate? Are there more adjacent airports I should also be monitoring for fares? While I enjoy Paris, visiting there is not a requirement and I’d be happy to be in the south the entire week. Any advice, tips or recommendations anyone might make would be appreciated. Merci!

Posted by
1126 posts

redhead librarian,
You could fly to Marseille on one ticket, changing planes in Paris. There may even be direct flights to Marseille from NYC. If not, take a TGV to Gare St. Charles in Marseille from Gare de Lyon in Paris (about3 1/2-4 hours). And there are 5 or 6 trains ta day to Marseille from CDG. Marseille is an interesting city, with a history going back to the Greeks (called Massilia by them). Also, you could do trips to Cassis, Bandol, Les Baux, Aix-en-Provence, Nimes, Arles.....trains and buses are frequent. In Marseille you can take a boat to the Chateau d'If, or the calanques, visit the Basilica Notre Dame de la Gard, the Vallon des Auffes, the Museum of the History of Marseille, the Vieux Port, Le Panier district. Best things to eat in Marseille...bouillabaisse, pizza, pissaladiere, all things seafood, a huge variety of fresh produce (huge!), rose wines from around Bandol, Bouche de Rhone reds.....!
A week in Marseille or environs will be very full of activities. Alas, I don't have any lodging recs because we stay with family when in there area. I'm sure others on the forum will have some suggestions.

Bonne chance!

Posted by
1315 posts

Easter is late April in 2025, so the chances of good weather are there. Still, you should expect rain no matter where you are at that time of year.

I can't speak to Marseille, but I just finished a week in the Dordogne and would recommend that as an easy place to keep entertained, as well as some great history and pretty country. I flew into Toulouse, but talking with others I met down there next time I'll just take the TGV to Bordeaux and rent a car from there. Wine country is always nice in the spring.

Posted by
10510 posts

Your plan is good. I second what Judy has written about the possibility of a plane ticket through to Marseille on one itinerary. This would be with Air France or Delta to AF. Or, as she said, change to the train. From Gare de Lyon in Paris, it's a 3-hour train ride. Marseille and surrounding areas will have the best weather in France at that time of year though you could have some winds. I live to the west of there and enjoy the sunny weather.