Please sign in to post.

Southern France 2019 summer family trip

Hi !
We are family (2 adults and 2 kids of 7 and 11) that like to travel. We have been in Germany, Austria, Catalonia, Potugal and Italy before.
Next summer (we are a techer and a school psychologist so no other option) we have think about southern France. We have budget for something like 23-26 days trip. We like to have direct flights and from Montreal we can have direct flights (with Transat) to Paris, Lyon, Marseilles, Nice, Toulouse and Bordeaux.

We are looking fo trip ideas. Our first thoughys wa an arrival in Lyon, (stay there 2-3 days) rent a car and go see Annecy, stay in Vaucluse region for 6-7 days, Dordogne for 4-5 days, Carcasonne and head back from Bordeaux (or Toulouse ?) and drop the car from there.

What would be top choice for a family ?
How is the weather, I guess it will be hot, but will it be unbearably hot ?

Thanks !

Posted by
3122 posts

The itinerary you've outlined sounds wonderful!

It's impossible to predict exactly what the weather will be like, but you should plan on a certain amount of rain and bring layers of clothing to adjust to hotter / cooler temperatures. If you're interested in weather science, the Weather Underground website gives searchable temperature histories for various locations.

Posted by
27104 posts

Toulouse and Annecy were miserably hot last June. I was in Avignon and Arles in late May, at which point they hadn't yet reached "intolerable" on the misery scale.

Summer average temperatures in Lyon are about 1 degree cooler than in Toulouse; it didn't feel quite as hot there, so I think the weather changed in my favor.

I'd suggest tweaking the itinerary to allow some time actually up in either the French Alps or the Pyrenees. This is assuming folks with Dordogne experience cannot report something encouraging about summer weather in that area. I've never been there.

I think I'd recommend 4 nights in Lyon; there's a lot to see there, and your first day won't be very productive.

Posted by
4517 posts

I have stayed 4 nights in the Dordogne end of July and it was not hot, no need for AC (which we didn't have anyway).

Posted by
360 posts

Thanks for those ideas...so maybe we can leave out annecy and Lyon. We could fly to marseilles and come back from Bordeaux....

Posted by
408 posts

Well, I hope you're not a spelling teacher...

Seriously, I used to live in Lyon and have visited Marseille a few times for work and leisure, and I would definitely recommend Lyon over Marseille. Don't get me wrong: Marseille has plenty to see and do and can be interesting as well. But with the ages of your children, I think Lyon would be a better choice.

I'm not a fan of Annecy, but having lived around Lake Tahoe in the past perhaps I'm somewhat benumbed to pretty lakes with mountains.

If you reconsider Lyon, feel free to send me a private message and I'll do some thinking about activities younger children such as yours might enjoy. Coming from Montreal, I assume you all speak French, which should lead to an enriched experience for you in France.

As for the heat, it just depends on if you arrive during a heat wave. It can be pleasant, or it can be very warm. One can't really predict that far ahead, so the best thing to do is to not worry about it but keep track of the weather forecasts as your departure date approaches (consider Météo France's website) and if extreme heat is predicted during your visit (with nearly a month's visit during the summer, it's likely you'll see at least a brief heatwave), just consider leaving some of the warmer clothes and bringing more of the cooler ones.

Sounds like a great trip. Your kids are going to love it!

Posted by
360 posts

Thanks for that answer and sorry for my bad english. Le français est ma langue habituelle.