Please sign in to post.

South of France Itin thoughts/suggestions

So we are almost officially going to the France late-Sept, early Oct. Hubby seems like it'll be a yes, and I'll be booking flight within the next few weeks. (Bold is where we will spend the night)

Here is my tentative itin...love suggestions.

Sept 26 - flight thru night

Sept 27 - arrive Paris mid-morning

Sept 28 - Paris

Sept 29 - Paris (this will be our 3rd time to Paris - have already spent 5 nights here over two trips - this is more to relax and wander and see some sights we've missed)

Sept 30 - TGV to Avignon, pick up car rental, drive to Carcassonne (I'd hope to arrive around 12-1pm in Avignon; about a 2 1/2-3 hr drive to Carcassonne). We have rented a car before for North France and had a good experience and would love to be able to explore on our own whim. For ease of getting an automatic car, Avignon is our best bet rather then training back and forth to Carca, and we hope to make some stops along the way if something catches our fancy.

Oct 1 - Carcassonne

Oct 2 - drive to Arles (I am contemplating taking a detour to see the Millau Bridge - I know it's a few hours, but hubby and I are both pretty keen to see it, but if it's really kinda meh, I could skip it). Also, I am not stuck on staying in Arles proper. It just seems like a good spot to center and take day trips from (tentative - Nimes, Aix, Orange, Pont du Gard, Uzes among others). Last time (2012) we did the south of France, we stayed in Avignon. We have seen enough of Avignon and don't really need to go back there.

Oct 3 - Arles

Oct 4 - Arles

Oct 5/6 - OK, these are my up in the air nights. I had been thinking of relocating to Aix for 2 nights, but they are very close together (Arles-Aix), so seems a bit redundant. After Arles, we want to drive to Nice. So for these two nights, I am trying to decide spend another night in Arles to give us four nights (on the 5th), or start heading for Nice and stop somewhere along the way (5th) and stay in Nice on the 6th.

Oct 7 - Nice (again, not hung up on Nice, but somewhere in the area - and we have spent a day in Nice - stayed in Villefranche in 2012 so would like to explore different little towns/villages - some by train I imagine).

Oct 8 - Nice

Oct 9 - Nice - this night has to be spent in Nice (or close by) as we are going to drop the car at the airport and fly to England the next day

Oct 10/11/12 - flying to LGW and spending two nights in Portsmouth with sister and one night in London before flying home on the 13th)

So I tentatively have 3 nights Paris, 2 nights Carcassonne, 3 nights Arles area, 2 ?? nights (maybe we should add a night to Carcassonne?), 3 nights Nice area. Any thoughts on alternatives to Arles/Nice, and maybe any awesome not too touristy little towns or villages to see.

Posted by
11613 posts

I visited Arles but stayed in Nimes and loved it.

If you decide not to stay in Nice proper, the towns of Vence and Saint-Paul-de-Vence are not far away.

Posted by
3941 posts

We missed Nimes last time, so will def check out both Nimes and Vence. We generally tend to either airbnb or we may luck into some couchsurfing hosts (which could determine where we stay - our 2012 trip we had an offer to stay from a couple in this little village called Amblie up North - never would have gone without a car - their home was amazing).

Just to throw out our interests - castles, ruins, nature, walks, town markets, architecture, scenic views (I do some photography).

Not interested in - wine, art museums, lying on a beach.

Posted by
11613 posts

At Pont du Gard, you can raft down part of the river.